Nut for TI JF344

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tzohn, Sep 29, 2016.

Tags:
  1. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    I have the TIs 43-100 on my Standard P with factory nut for 45-105 gauge. I think I am not getting the best out of these strings due to imperfect nut fit. Should I have replaced the nut for these lighter gauge strings or is it a negligible difference?

2. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    The standard nut slot width should not be a problem.

A problem at the nut will only affect the open string notes. A different string gauge or type can affect the relief, which should be readjusted as necessary.

What problem are you having?

-

3. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Thanks for your input.
    I have adjusted the truss rod to compensate for these low tension strings to the point that I have just a little up-bow.
    My concern is about the left hand muting. I mean when I release the pressure from the fretted note It feels like there are uneven
    vibrations and it makes it harder to completely mute. Also when tuning, especially open E never locks to the right
    pitch and the tuner is wavering between high and low for seconds after the string is plucked. Not really huge problems what I describe,
    I am just wondering if a precision-cut nut could improve even slightly the bass sound.

Edit: Maybe I am also trying to justify my GAS for the La bellas deep talkin 45-105 gauge

Last edited: Sep 30, 2016
  4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Muting: ?

Low E: witness points.

Coolhandjjl likes this.
  5. Coolhandjjl

Coolhandjjl Supporting Member

Oct 13, 2010
    Appleton
    No nut change necessary for TI Flats. Witness points as mentioned plus sufficient break angle (which setting witness points will help to a certain degree) and a more relaxed truss rod setting is all you need.

If people with Ricks can get those strings set up, they can set up for any bass.

6. tzohn

tzohn

Apr 26, 2015
    Witness points are correct at the nut and the saddles. So as far as I understand this gauge difference is not significant so no need for new nut.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021