Nut, Frets or something more mysterious???

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by kiwiboy, Jan 25, 2005.

1. Well I just got an Ibanez SRX705 (I’m a student and i take what i can get here in NZ). It’s been surprisingly good to me in most aspects except the action - with every setup imaginable I’m always confronted with buzzing, evenly across the entire fretboard. I’m using medium light strings 0.45 to 1.05 + 1.28 (B) yes a very strange gauge, I’m not very happy with that but that’s a different story. The buzzing is not from action too low or from uneven frets and I’m using Gary Willis' technique so the buzzing is reduced with my light playing, but if I ever play with normal ferocity... I suspect the nut is placed too low. Please shed some light on what may be wrong, I just hate seeing my bass like this :bawl:
  2. the buzzing is in the set up. if you followed his specs exactly, the relief is probably too little for your particular bass, and the string height too low. every bass is different. you can take two of the exact same basses, and one will play better for some reason or another.
  3. EVERY setup? Like B4ever suggested, too little relief will often cause the "all over" buzz like you described. But I find it hard to believe that you haven't been able to get it free from buzzing with at least one range of setup - even one that isn't to your liking. If you could, that would give you some indication of which direction you should follow to get to the rest of the problem.
  4. Yup every setup - its not a choking buzz like you might get with action too low, its just... buzz! i want to get heavier strings put on as soon as possible, but every bass i've owned previous i've been able to get at a decent action with poorer quality necks, poorer fret jobs, lighter strings, and smaller radius fretboards... as i said somethings wrong i just cant pin point it. I dont think anyone will online eithter, but thanx 4 replying guys.
  5. Don't give up yet. There are people here at this site that can give even EXPERTS new ideas to try, I promise (myself excluded, of course :D )

1. Check the relief in the neck. Use Gary Willis's technique. Bring the bass up to proper tune and check.
    2. Check those nut slots. Do they look overly wide or deep. How old is the bass? A worn nut usually causes buzz at the open string position.
    3. Check your pickup height. They aren't too close to the strings, are they? The string isn't buzzing across one of them by chance?

I would really take time to check and dial-in that truss and neck relief. This is the cause of many weird buzzes, unusual fret noise, strings sounding dead or flat, etc..

Good luck, and keep the faith!