Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut height for fretless G&L

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Chef, Feb 1, 2005.

1. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    I had to install a new nut on my 1982 2000EL fretless bass. The manual that came with my bass says to set string height at the nut at .022 between the fret and the string, but does not cover string height at the nut for fretless?
    What's the spec for this?

Thanks, Alan

2. I'm currently in the process of building a fretless where I'm using a zero fret at the nut. This approach sets all of the strings at a perfectly equal height across the fingerboard. My fretwire is the modern jumbo that has an unleveled crown height of .130". The next smallest - medium wire - has a crown height of .110". Either of these heights would be suitable for use. Since this works for the zero fret setup, I see no reason why it wouldn't work with a standard nut. It would be easy to accomplish by removing the tang of some fretwired and placing it in front of the nut. By deepening the holes to the top of the fret, you would maintain the proper depth across the nut.

3. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    I'm sorry Hambone, I'm not following that at all. Is the gist of what you're saying that lower is ok, and in fact you're running at zero? I'm "just a guy with some tools and a small-ish brain," not a builder or luthier. I have feeler guages, and can use them...

4. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Had to replace the nut on my 1982 G&L fretless...the manual says to set string ehight at .022 at the first fret:)
    Obviously there is no fret there, so what's a good spec?

5. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Tony Petrilla at G&L said he's done so many he doesn't bother to measure anymore, but guesses at .015 to .010.

6. Chef

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Joshua;
    Definately easier to start high and bring 'er down than start trying to add it back. I suppose you could gring up some bone into powder and add it back with super glue, but I'd rather go slow bringing it down:)