1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut height of fretless...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Apr 11, 2006.

1. So I defretted my Milestone II and I read that the nut should be filed down so that the strings are extremely close to the fretboard at the nut. I am afraid to do this because if it buzzes like crazy, theres no turning back. Is this the right idea? File the slots down almost, or even ALL the way?:confused:

2. Almost all the way. Not all the way. I have mine at about a business card's thickness off the fingerboard. It gives a good even feel all the way up, and really soft and easy playing action.

3. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I've found that if you accidentally go too far, you could always shim the nut. Just put a very thin shim under the nut.

4. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    Some people build the slot back up with a gel super glue. Be careful not to get it on the neck though. There are existing disscussions about this.

5. What should I use to file?

6. Kronos

Kronos

Dec 28, 2005
    Philadelphia, PA
    I believe you can buy files specifically for slotting nuts at Stewmac.com.

7. Lemme rephrase...i mean cheapest...and by cheapest I mean free if possible; household items?

8. well, you can use a tiny tapered round file found at a hardware store. you will need a couple of sizes though. use different sections of the file for the different string slot widths.

9. Puru

Puru

Mar 13, 2006
    Alachua, Florida
    I found a small file set at Michael's crafts that worked pretty well for most of the filing, then I finished it off by sliding some old roundwound strings back and forth in the notch. Pretty tedious, but it works. It's cheap, and you can get the gauges you want.

10. emils

emils

Jul 28, 2005
    Croatia
    Or you could just file the bottom of the nut using a flat surface and some sanding paper.

11. I ended using a credit card (not a real one btw) and wrapped sandpaper around one edge of it. This worked surprisingly well. Thanks for the tips guys.