Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut height....the bass's not mine

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cb56, Jul 3, 2001.

1. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Hi Folks,
    My Warwick Thumb Bolt on is the only bass I've ever owned that had an adjustable nut. How do you measure nut height? from the 1st fret to the bottom of the string I assume? What would be a good height at the first fret? 1/16,? 1/8,?
    Thanks

btw yes I did a search first!

2. pkr2

pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    The height of the nut should be as low as you can get it and not get fret buzz when playing in the first fret.

The actual measurement is meaningless.

Pkr2

3. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    so I need to lower the nut as far as it can go, play open strings and raise it up till it doesn't buzz on the first fret. Sounds logical, Thanks

4. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Your thread title is a stone gas cb!

I don't know how you measure

I found a reputable source a while back which said the strings should set about halfway down into properly cut nut slots. (I suspect he wasn't thinking of taper wounds).

Now, what pkr2 said may be totally true, too. I don't know how much science really needs to go into this measurement as long as you're getting the sound and sustain you want without buzzes.

But, I will say this in reference to that source I mentioned - the only string that sets well below, (I mean deep), into the nut slot is the G on one of my basses. And guess which is the only string that sounded raspy, pinched, and had no decent sustain? You got it, the G.

Since this nut isn't adjustable, (the bass's), a tech told me to try and dry some super glue in the G slot to raise the string a bit. Whammo! Problem almost totally gone with string setting higher in slot. I've yet to put more glue in to raise it a little more and see if that solves it completely.