Nut help please

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by vivaknoxvegas, Nov 20, 2015.

1. vivaknoxvegas

vivaknoxvegas El Duderino Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I removed an old nut tonight from an SX neck. I got it out fairly easy. I'm replacing with a tusq nut, but the old slot for the nut seems to be bigger than the new nut. The new nut doesn't seem thick enough, it drops in and wiggles north and south quite a bit. The width is fine though. Is this normal or do I need to fill that slot with something to make it a snug fit?

2. unclebass

unclebass

Dec 17, 2012
    I would find something to shim it with to make it tighter. Make sure you shim it on the headstock side.

vivaknoxvegas and Zooberwerx like this.
  3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    How much of a gap exists with the nut in position? No guesswork, use your feeler gauges.

Riis

4. Technicality

Technicality

Feb 10, 2011
    If it was me, I'd just get a nut blank that fits (or I can cut down to fit). Even the more expensive materials are so cheap that fiddling around trying to fix an imperfect nut seems like a non optimal use of time when you could have one that is perfect so cheaply.

vivaknoxvegas likes this.
  5. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    I'll probably end up doing this. I added a ghetto fabulous aluminum foil insert on the headstock side. Glued it in there, then glued the nut in. It looks... ghetto fabulous. I can see the foil in places. It will work, and most likely nobody else would notice it, but it bugs me. I will probably pop it out and re-do it with something that I cut down to fit.

6. vivaknoxvegas

May 6, 2002
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeeeeeeeeeah... about those feeler gauges... Can I borrow yours? :)

sissy kathy likes this.
  7. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    $4 at Pep Boys...cheapskate. I was thinking along these lines: Position your nut butted firmly against the fingerboard aspect of the nut slot. Check the remaining gap on the "upstream" side, find a leaf that fits snugly. Trim the leaf to size and glue both components into place. Here's a variation: measure the gap and glue a slightly thicker sliver of veneer to the upstream side of the nut. Knock it down with some sandpaper until you achieve a snug fit. Glue into position. I prefer this method as veneer (...I have 0.47 mm and .083 mm on hand) can easily be worked with a common utility razor. I've used this trick to shim the bottom of a nut as an interim measure when coping with worn or overcut nut slots.

Riis

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021