Nut issue

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Floyd Eye, May 20, 2012.

1. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    Every once in awhile my A string slips out of the nut when I'm playing. I assumed it was probably me bending the string too far or something. It didn't happen often. Until last night. Over the course of a 4 hour gig it popped out 4 or 5 times. I have a new nut ordered from Rickenbacker, but I was just wondering what would cause this to start happening more frequently. The nut is not chipped or broken and there is nothing under the string. I haven't changed the way I play or anything. I can't figure out why it is all of a sudden happening this often.

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Not enough break angle over the nut. Did you change strings recently? Push the windings on the tuner as low as possible to the wood. Leave lots of winds on the tuners so the strings are low as possible.

3. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I haven't changed the strings in quite a while actually and I always wind the strings as low on the peg as I can.

By the way, I ended up ordering a nut from somewhere else and have decided I will never give John Hall another penny of my money. Not only can you not simply buy a nut from the Boutique, as there is a minimum order required, but the shipping for a $6 nut is $11.93.:meh:
    Absolutely ridiculous.

4. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY

Well then, you have a mystery on your hands. I guess.I should have looked at your post count! You ain't no noob, apologies!

I know, shipping is crazy from some places. I hate it when it's more than the cost of a part.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the shape of the slot may not be right.

if it's still kinda high over the first fret (like rics typically are from the factory) then it's no big deal to correct the shape in the process of filing it down to the right height.

if the strings are already close to the first fret, then it's trickier, but still doable, to re-profile the slot to keep the string from jumping out.

this may even require building the slot up slightly with a dust-glue mixture, then re-filing into the right shape.

6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    I think you are right Walter. I thought about the dust/glue thing, but I figure I might as well just install a new nut.

7. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    the dust/glue thing doesn't bother me for this scenario, because you're not trying to raise the string; this means the string is still resting on actual solid nut material, so tuning stability and overall durability is not compromised. at most we're talking about a subtle change to the sides of the slot.

and again, if there's any excess height there, then none of this is necessary, just a good proper final filing.

replacing the nut is unnecessary extra work if you ask me.

8. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Inactive

Feb 21, 2010
    St. Louis
    This is probably true. However, my E string slot is in need of attention as well. I've been keeping a bit of paper in it since I switched to Rotos a year or so ago. I could use the dust and glue trick on it too, but it just seems like the proper thing to do is replace the nut and file the slots myself for the strings I use. I've read about but never tried the dust/glue trick. Maybe I ought to try it on the E and A slots just for the experience.

9. walterw

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    OK yeah, problems with 50% of the nut slots justifies popping it out of there, doesn't it?

even if just to shim it up a little and re-cut all the slots.

10. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Albuquerque, NM
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    ^^^^^
    That's the best bet.

11. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021