1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut material - does it matter?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by LutherHeggs00, Dec 5, 2006.

1. LutherHeggs00

LutherHeggs00

Apr 11, 2006
    Plastic, bone, brass - does it have that much effect? Are there 'grounding' issues with brass?

2. ggunn

ggunn

Aug 30, 2006
    Austin, TX
    Any sonic effect will be on open strings only, and even if the nut is brass, it wou't be electrically connected to anything.

3. however, something like a graphtech nut will make bending easier, but sonically it will only effect the open string

4. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    My main bass came with a graphite nut over 20 years ago. It's still perfect -- not worn out. The biggest advantage of graphite to me is that it never binds. All other materials that I have used bind occasionally when I tune -- graphite never does this. As a result, I think the bass tunes better and stays in tune better (it never "sproings" back).

As far as tone goes, graphite sounds as good as the other premium materials to me.