1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut material for Yamaha RBX170

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by fortysixandtwo, Jun 28, 2012.

1. I was changing the strings on my Yamaha RBX170. When I took off the E string, a piece of the nut fell off. After looking around at GC and some local shops, nobody has the nut that I need. I was able to epoxy the broken one and it seems to be working for now. I did get referred to a guy in my town who carves nuts (LOL). He indicated that he uses Bone, copper and a couple of different composites. What is a good material to use and how can I ecxpect it to affect the tone?

2. Cody Sisk

Cody Sisk

Jan 26, 2009
    Lilburn, GA
    Ronald Sachs Violins
    Another stray..

3. robobass

robobass

Aug 1, 2005
    Cologne, Germany
    Private Inventor - Bass Capos
    We only use ebony here!

4. Oops..:eek: My bad.. Mods can this be moved to the proper area pleas. My apologies.

5. Nevermind. I put it in the proper forum. Please delets this one if possible.

6. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Use bone, it sounds the best and wears very well. ;)

7. Thanks. I got a guy working on carving one up for me today.