nut material,slotting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by themathrock, Jun 19, 2004.

1. in a week i am about to buy a 5 string. it has a laquered maple fretboard. i like the tone of maple, but i have heard that the nut on this particular bass is.......gasp....plastic. i was wondering which type of material, in a reasonable price range, would sound best.

that was question one, here's number two!

i would tune this thing EADGC, so is there a general fee for slotting(i have no idea if that's the right word) to do that? thank you for your time.
  2. JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    If you have never "cut" (or dare I say "busted") a nut, I'd take it to a shop/luthier to have them do it. Tell them what kind of material you want. I have found setting up a bass/guitar can be the most crucial part to make it play and sound right. If you are experienced in slotting a nut, then go for it. It's always nice to get familiar with.
    As for material, I'd go with a bone nut. I haven't personally used hard wood like ebony/cocobolo/bloodwood, etc. yet but I definitely will soon. I'm curious what wood will sound like. I have guitars/basses with bone/brass/graphite/tusq that all sound really good, but different in there own ways. How would I know what YOU would like anyway???