1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut needed for 1983 USA P-Bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Don B, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    I have a 1983 USA made P-Bass. Has the 1.75" wide nut.
    Nut has a chip on E string side. I need to replace it. Like to find one that is already slotted.
    Any ideas where I can buy one? I searched Internet and can't find the wide ones.
    Thanks

2. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

PRe slotted still require adjusting slot heights. Else the action down low will stink. You'll need a set of files and the knowhow.

Cheaper just to get a pro to do it if it's a one time thing for you.

If you at going to take it up as a pastime (fixing up old beaters, setting up and minor repairs to guitars for other people) then invest in the tools and learn how.

Other than that, a P bass pre slotted nut is about as rare as pants in a clothing store: they are absolutely everywhere that sells music parts.

3. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    I have files and been adjusting nuts for 45 years. Done the super glue / baking soda fixes too.
    Don't want to start one from scratch, hence why I want a pre-slotted one.
    I spent a bit of time yesterday looking for a 1 3/4" P-Bass nut on-line. Struck out. Who sells them?
    Saw one guy that bought one from an advertised site thinking he was getting a 1 3/4" and it was really 1.625"
    Let me know where the "everywhere" store is that sells music parts - for a pre-slot 1.75" nut.

4. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    Good luck.

5. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    "good luck"
    what? was that a partial reply?

6. 96tbird

96tbird PLEASE STAND BY Supporting Member

My bad. Missed the fact that yours is 1.75. Where are my glasses?!!!

7. don't know if you bass needs a nut with flat or rounded bottom. check the second row on this link.
    Bass Nuts
    *may have steered you toward a 5 stringer.

8. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    Buy a different bass? Have a rack of ones I haven't used in years now. That's last thing I need. And will never need another 5 string.
    I have 4 basses I play and that is enough. This 1983 P-Bass was a gift I just got. Only issue is the cracked nut. The 1.75" inch wide nut is great on some vintage music we do.

Anyway, I saw that link at Amazon link too you mentioned. for the out of stock 1.75 one with 9.5" radius.
    Fender is trying to get me the proper one. After owning their basses since 1968, they are trying to help.

9. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

(I think he was joking that yours is too old and worn out. Nyuk, nyuk. That makes my '63 prehysterical.)

Glad Fender is pitching in. Fortunately with your established skills if you have to make one, it shouldn't be too big a deal.

JLS and bobdabilder like this.
  10. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    In the 1970's there was a fad going round among us bass players to use brass nuts. Don't recall why that fad started. It was absurd.
    I recall buying a piece of brass and spending hours grinding and filing and tweaking it to fit and work on a 1964 P-Bass.

One would think in the year 2015 with the Internet and a global economy - it would not be that difficult to find a 1.75" bone or simulated bone slotted nut for a bass of which thousands exist around the world. Hopefully Fender can get me one. Their customer service is not like it once was. Still waiting to hear back.
    Hence why I thought someone on this Talkbass forum knew of a source where this was not such a big deal.

11. I just drive over to the woods and scout around for some unlucky bear or elk bones and make my own nuts and bone bridges for guitars and other stringed instruments. Shin bones make terrific file and saw handles with some epoxy to hold the tangs.

I prefer bear bones for their density, but elk or moose are very good too. Deer and goat skeletons are pity-er I feel and dampen open strings which may not be considered good to some people. Bald egle and wild turkey are pretty poor - I just don't even bend over to pick them up. I haven't seen condor skeletons in my area... but would like any input from people who live around them.

12. JLS

JLS

Sep 12, 2008
    Emeryville, Ca
    I setup & repair guitars & basses
    What's the big deal about fabricating one?

13. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    Because I thought my nut fabrication days were over in 1977.
    I guess I may have to make if Fender does not come through. You are right - it's not that big a deal.
    I am in rehearsals for 72 songs - don't really have the time to be luthier too.

mech likes this.
  14. Pilgrim

I've bought nut material from Stew-Mac; they offer lots of options. I do buy at least two, because that gives me the chance to screw one up and get it right the second time.

Fortunately, you won't have as much work to do as you would with the brass one.

BTW - if the chip is in a bad place, you can build a small dam with masking tape, add baking soda, and then a drop of super glue.

Check out this video:

15. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    Thanks ....as mentioned in previous post, I been doing the super glue/ baking soda trick for many years.
    Bass got dropped by previous owner (bass given to me as gift). There is chunk off side of nut on 4th string side. You can't do the super glue/soda trick with that kind of of problem.

Anyhow - just found a luthier to do it for me. I could do it - I just don't have time. After 8 hours rehearsals per day on 72 songs, the last thing I want to do is make a nut.
    I don't even use this bass any of my current projects. It's in mint shape other than the nut issue - and bass side P pickup needing some foam under it to raise it a
    bit. Before it going into storage, I wanted to get it in perfect shape by fixing those 2 issues.

Thanks for all your help. My issue with this nut will now be fixed and out of my hair.

16. Pilgrim

Sorry for not catching that. Sounds like you're good now.

17. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014
    California
    Thank you and best of luck

18. Son of Wobble

Son of Wobble

Mar 8, 2010
    1b8bb719e268493a49fd45e71b4b42cf.

19. Don B

Don B

Aug 23, 2014