1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nut on Moses Jazz neck and the E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by deepestend, Mar 6, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have a moses neck on a warmoth dinky j body. The guy I purchased it from made the nut and it's workable right now, but I'm noticing that the angle of the E tuner puts a lot of stress on the nut at the E string. Anyone else have this happenning? What kind of nut did you eventually settle on? Any way to relieve the pressure? I'm thinking that I probably need to get a brass nut made eventually...

J-R

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, that does look like the E string tuner is set too far to the left of the headstock or something. If you're worried about the nut breaking, a brass nut should solve that.

P.S; Nice bass! How does that thing sound/play? I'm gonna build myself a Jazz one of these years.

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just got it the other day from a guy in Maine who built it for himself and then decided that he wanted to play 5 string. I changed the strings and set it up to my specs last night. I'm liking it a lot so far, but I'm not used to how light it is. My main bass is a G&L L-2000 which weighs a ton.

I've fiddled with it a lot now and I've found a tone I'm liking a lot. A modern tone but not too trebbely. The real challenge so far has been to get a sound that isn't too mettallic or trebble heavy. I'm figuring it out. I like the smoothness and clarity of the EMG's, but I don't like all of the "crispness." My sansamp is helping with that, though.

I'm loving it so far.