Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut on Moses Jazz neck and the E string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by deepestend, Mar 6, 2003.

1. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I have a moses neck on a warmoth dinky j body. The guy I purchased it from made the nut and it's workable right now, but I'm noticing that the angle of the E tuner puts a lot of stress on the nut at the E string. Anyone else have this happenning? What kind of nut did you eventually settle on? Any way to relieve the pressure? I'm thinking that I probably need to get a brass nut made eventually...

J-R

2. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Hmm,, that does look like the E string tuner is set too far to the left of the headstock or something. If you're worried about the nut breaking, a brass nut should solve that.

P.S; Nice bass! How does that thing sound/play? I'm gonna build myself a Jazz one of these years.

3. deepestend

deepestend Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 21, 2003
    Brooklyn via Austin and NOLA
    Guitar/Bass Builder and Social Media at Sadowsky
    I just got it the other day from a guy in Maine who built it for himself and then decided that he wanted to play 5 string. I changed the strings and set it up to my specs last night. I'm liking it a lot so far, but I'm not used to how light it is. My main bass is a G&L L-2000 which weighs a ton.

I've fiddled with it a lot now and I've found a tone I'm liking a lot. A modern tone but not too trebbely. The real challenge so far has been to get a sound that isn't too mettallic or trebble heavy. I'm figuring it out. I like the smoothness and clarity of the EMG's, but I don't like all of the "crispness." My sansamp is helping with that, though.

I'm loving it so far.