Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut problem on Fender Jazz (MIM)

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by TheBaron, Nov 7, 2004.

1. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Hi guys, basically when i play my 'E' string (tuned to D) open the string tends to come out of the nut, a simliar but not as bad thing happens to the 'A' string so ive had to use a plastic tie around the 2 strings then around the neck to keep them inplace. This isn't a problem really except it looks hideous! has anyone any ideas how i can fix this with an unsightly lump of plastic on my headstock? cheers!.

P.S if i havent explained it well, sorry, ill try and get some pics of it!.

2. Roundwound

Roundwound

May 13, 2004
    Peoria, IL
    When you put on your strings, did you wind the E (your "D") and A strings down towards the bottom of the tuning post? When done successfully, each string will point at a downward angle beginning at the nut to its respective tuning post. This puts downward pressure on the nut so the strings don't slip out, and it arguably assists with improving sustain. I don't wind my strings all the way down to the very bottom of the posts, but about 2/3 is where I like it. I recently purchased a used 2000 MIM Fender Jazz Bass with the stock plastic nut and had the same problem. I applied this solution and the slippage stopped, even after several string changes.

You may or may not see some different opinions about my technique, but it works for me.

However, you or your local guitar pro should also take a close look at the nut and make sure it isn't worn out around where the strings rest. If so, have a professional replace it with a new plastic nut or upgrade to a bone or brass nut. Going bone or brass will do a better job with increasing sustain.

3. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Careful with the MIM nuts, they don't handle heavy string guages well...

4. could be the nut hasn't been cut for the larger guages? if it hasn't they will sit on top of the slots, making it hard (very) to play 1-5 frets, and the strings can move outta the slight hole they have created.

5. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    I don't think it's a problem with the nut or the string gauge (45-100) but more to do with me being a little rough. Like it said it's no biggy but im gettin a new geddy lee soon and im hoping im not gonna have the same prob cos their too sexual to strap a piece of plastic on the headstock!. The circle piece of metal that holds the D and G strings would be ideal but theres not really any room to fit one is there? ah well i'll find a way to fix it, needs must! cheers for the help though guys and i will try winding the strings on lower but im not due for a change for another 3 gigs (can't afford to) so my ghetto fix will have to do for now!.

6. You can always install a "T" style string retainer over the E and A. That should do the trick.

7. TheBaron

TheBaron

Nov 1, 2004
    Now that sounds exactly what im looking for, a peice of metal, T shaped that holds the strings down (I hope so otherwise ill look very stupid!) where can i get these badboys from?

8. Are the strings wound on as Roundwound described?

9. The "T" retainer you are talking about is called a "string tree",and you can get them from any music store that carries replacement parts.I had to put on on an old P-bass I once had.They are not to expensive either!