Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by newbass, Mar 6, 2004.

1. newbass

newbass

Mar 18, 2002
    Austin, Texas
    I only have two questions this time! Thank you for responding to my other posts.

What is the best type of nut in your opinion for a bass with the following specs?

*Six string
    *36" scale length
    *Hipshot series "A" bridge
    *18mm string spacing at bridge/pickup(a little less here)
    *not sure what nut string spacing (10mm, or 11mm spacing?)
    (sorry, I guess its three questions)

Where can I get a nut like this?

Thank you very much. Sorry I post so much, but I'm getting really excited about my custom, and want to order the essentials as soon as possible, so I can think up some cool frilly stuff to add (F-holes, etc.)

2. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Personally don't know nuts from butts cause I haven't played around with them. I did have a bass the company swapped a brass nut for graphite when they had it doing other work. Can't say as I could tell the difference other than appearance. But I did have them throw the old brass nut in with the bass for the return trip just in case.

Try a search here on TB if you haven't already done so. I'm guessing the harder the material the brighter the tone and more sustain. Which fits with the company change on my bass as I was complaining about the bass being to bright.

Personally, I'd go with the cheapest and easiest stuff to work with to get your bass up and running. Once there, you can determine if you would like the tone altered in the direction a given nut may take you. You won't know what you're bass is going to sound like to you're there. A nut is something easily changed after the fact - and that's when I'd address it.

For what it's worth.

3. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    This is a good call. You might not be able to notice the difference in sound between bone and brass when blindfolded, but bone is certainly easier to work than brass, and that is easy to notice. Bone is also the easiest to get in dimensions long enough for a six string bass.