Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut Question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tucker, Feb 23, 2001.

1. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Yet another question.
    I'm planning on taking out my old nut, BEADG, and putting in a new nut,EADGC, Can this be done and what is required to do this? Is there anything else that I need to know?

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You probably don't need a new nut. just try the new strings on. If the slots really are too wide then think about buying a new one - A trick to refill overly large slots is to apply super glue mixed with baking powder and afterwards filing the slots according to your needs.

3. tucker

tucker Guest

Jan 21, 2001
    North Carolina
    Alright thanx for the help

4. bizzaro

bizzaro

Aug 21, 2000
    Vermont
    Yea, What JMX said. I used epoxy to fill in a wide slot rather than replace the nut. I used tape to damn up both sides of the string slot and filled it with epoxy. I let it harden and then simply reshaped the nut a little where the glue was and refiled the slot. If I had to do them all I would probably replace the nut. Make sure you cover up the fret board, (masking tape works well and is easy to remove), and the tuning head to save the heartache of getting glue where you don't want it!!!I really don't know which glue would actually be best for this job. I would guess the harder the glue the better. Have you switched strings yet? The nut may work just the way it is.