nut question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ahpook, Jul 21, 2002.

1. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    can a badly cut (brass) nut give a swelling flange-style sound to open strings ?
  2. Oooooo, that's a weird one!!!

I think I know what you mean by the "swelling" aspect as the first bass I built has this sort of characteristic. I like it but I never began to analyze where it came from...

OK, I've thought about some and I don't have any great ideas about what causes this. The only thing I can come up with is that aside from your nut idea, it might come from pickup placement - that somehow the pup is at just the right place to emphasize a harmonic node or something like that. The only example I can think of to back this up is that I've watched how strings have vibrated when viewed with a TV or monitor behind them. The pattern they make when plucked changes almost immediately after the note attack and fluctuates through different patterns until it settles down as the note decays. Maybe it's one of these patterns that is somehow emphasized. :confused:

Anyone else care to take a shot at this??
  3. ahpook

Jul 13, 2001
    it's a bass i've had for a while with no problems, but i think it's had a home-made replacement but cut and the e string has always been very high at the on/1st/2nd fret, so gently cut it deeper an it started with this strange sound.

i've tried backing off the p-ups, but still it's there.