Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut questions

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by truckin88, Jan 26, 2005.

1. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    I am going to be doing a setup on my fender Pbass, and will be changing the string gauge froma 110 to a 105, while I am doing this should I replace the nut? what kind? and how do I get the old one out? I know how to put the new one in. Thanks fellas

2. I don't think you'll need to change the nut, unless it's worn out or something, or someone filed it out to accomodate that 110.
    The 105 might fit better than the 110 did. I've never had to change nuts because I changed string gauges, and going from the 110 to 105 is not all that drastic a change.
    Do you already have a properly cut and adjusted nut for replacement? I know that there are some precut nuts for popular basses such as the P-bass, but most times the nut is not pre-cut, and this is a technical procedure, best left to a luthier/tech if you can find one.

Mag...

3. truckin88

truckin88

Oct 18, 2001
    Newburgh, NY
    yeah I can get the nuts pre cut, like you said it is a P bass they make everything for them. I am wondering what material for the nut is best. I was also figuring while doing a setup why not upgrade.