Nut Removal

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Jimmy Bones, Aug 16, 2009.

1. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    Working on repairing/replacing a couple nuts.

Anybody know the best way to go about knocking out a couple nuts without busting them? Also want to refrain from damaging the neck or any of my sensitive fingers with harsh chemicals or excessive arm strain.

And please, no innuendo or double entendre please.

2. Shy Guy

Shy Guy

Sep 23, 2008
    Templeton, MA
    Haha, that's the first thing I was going to do as soon as I saw this thread.
    Last time I removed the nut from my yammy I just popped it off with a knife, but then again it was never really attached all that well in the first place.

3. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    What are they usually secured with?

4. Tommygunn

Tommygunn

Nov 8, 2008
    Houston, Tx
    GEt a pro to do it for like $20

5. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
  6. Lance Armstrong had a nut removal.

7. Then, might I suggest you rewrite your entire post. It screams "abuse me". :D

Might want to try the appropriate forum as well. Hardware, Setup & Repair.

/thread natzi

From what I know, most nuts are held in with only a dab of glue. With the strings off try lightly tapping it with a small wood block that fits the width of the nut. If it slides out the side use something that fits the diameter of the nut. You can also try lightly scoring between the nut and fretboard with a razor blade to separate it from any finish that may be applied to the fretboard.

CAUTION: This is what I would do. I'm no pro!

8. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    check this out.

9. KramerBassFan

KramerBassFan

Jan 3, 2009
    [/QUOTE] From what I know, most nuts are held in with only a dab of glue. With the strings off try lightly tapping it with a small wood block that fits the width of the nut. If it slides out the side use something that fits the diameter of the nut. You can also try lightly scoring between the nut and fretboard with a razor blade to separate it from any finish that may be applied to the fretboard.

CAUTION: This is what I would do. I'm no pro![/QUOTE]

That should work pretty well.
    Most string nuts are only held on by a tiny little dab of super glue, if any, and if you gently tap em, they ought to pop right off....
    Good luck.

Thanks.

10. I wouldn't recommend or use super glue.

A little too strong of a hold, no?

11. From what I know, most nuts are held in with only a dab of glue. With the strings off try lightly tapping it with a small wood block that fits the width of the nut. If it slides out the side use something that fits the diameter of the nut. You can also try lightly scoring between the nut and fretboard with a razor blade to separate it from any finish that may be applied to the fretboard.

CAUTION: This is what I would do. I'm no pro![/QUOTE]

That should work pretty well.
    Most string nuts are only held on by a tiny little dab of super glue, if any, and if you gently tap em, they ought to pop right off....
    Good luck.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

^This will work^. Mask the surface surrounding the nut, the fretboard, headstock, and neck finish, with painter's blue masking tape then go ahead score the surface between the nut and fretboard with an X-acto knife. Gently tap the nut out, emphasis on gently. Super-glue can be used but just be very careful not to get any of it on the finish. Practice first before you try this on a valuable bass.

12. John Wentzien

John Wentzien

Jun 25, 2007
    Elberta, AL
    Artist:TC Electronic RH450 bass system (original test-pilot)
    Elmer's white glue is plenty strong for this.

13. Nut removal....Sorry,nevermind.Reallly,I'm sorry.It's that "Beavis and Butthead mentality kickin' in.

OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!Sorry,dude.Couldn't help it!!!Punish me.......Thank you sir!!May I have another?!?!

Good God,I'm so immature.

14. KPAX

KPAX Inactive

Mar 22, 2005
    It's in with glue.
    Use something with a small head (smaller than the side of the nut, like a punch) and a hammer and tap it out sideways. Make sure what you're using to contact the nut (e.g. the punch) only contacts the nut. It'll break loose after a good whack or two.
    Not rocket science. Tap from the side, hit only the nut.

15. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 17, 2021