1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut Replacement for L2500

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by GonzoBfiddy, Mar 15, 2013.

1. TB'ers, I recently broke the nut (B string side)on my L2500 and have a few questions.
    1st, the fretboard is ebony and I'm concerned about problems with cracking or chipping the fretboard while replacing the nut. Is this a legit concern or just a routine situation that is nothing to worry about?
    Also, a bandmate (guitar plyr) advised me to consider a graphite replacement nut as an option for the sake of durability. I had thought of going with a brass nut for this reason but am not sure what the effect will be on tone/feel, etc. Additionally, are there any set-up issues to consider here? Will intonation, string buzz, etc become an issue? I use stainless steel DR Lo-Riders exclusively on this bass that are strung thru the body and dont want anything to change if it's not absolutely necessary. This instrument "sings" and plays like a dream!
    Any advice would be welcome.
    Thanks