1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut Replacement on a Lakland 44-02?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by wkgmusician, Mar 12, 2008.

1. wkgmusician

wkgmusician

Jul 25, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    I all of the sudden have a weird buzz on my D string. I had a set-up done on my bass a few months ago, and it was a little lower than I had expected. I'm about to take it in for a "correction", but am also wondering if now is the time to upgrade the nut, as the stock one is plastic.

Anyone have recommendations on a replacement nut (materials etc) assuming that it's needed?

2. g4string

g4string Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2002
    Melissa, TX
    USA Laklands use a bone nut. If I was you I would go with bone instead of plastic.

3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician, and Contractor to Club Bass and Guitar - Toronto
    I am not a fan of the material used for the nuts on the Lakland Skylines. I have a 5501 myself and have replaced the nut with one made of bone.

That said, there's nothing particularly wrong with the stock nut - you could leave it alone and it would perform fine. But if it comes time to do some nut work, you might consider replacing it then.

4. kyral210

kyral210

Sep 14, 2007
    Manchester
    ALlot of it is personal taste, but I love Graph Tech nuts and saddles. I installed a Graph Tech nut on my Shecter C-5 and now the tuning stability is to die for!

5. wkgmusician

wkgmusician

Jul 25, 2007
    Seattle, WA
    Thanks for the feedback, everyone!