Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut replacment

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by smith plyr, Jan 10, 2005.

1. smith plyr

smith plyr Blues Rules Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Northern Va
    fellow brothers how can i go about replacing the nut on my 75 jazz with out harming the binding! any hints would be helpful

2. Is there any chance of letting a pro replace this for you? There's so much more to replacing a nut besides removing the old one and glueing in a new one. Some special tools are needed for accurately cutting and filing the new slots in a new nut, and these need to be cut specifically for your bass.
    Here's some info on guitar nuts. It's interesting. Might help.
    http://www.fretnotguitarrepair.com/nuts.htm

Mag...

3. Yikes. I've met very experienced guitar techs who are stumped on this issue.

Is it a vintage 75 or a reissue? If it's vintage find a luthier to do it (not just your guitar store guy). You might check around and see if there is an acoustic fretted instrument repairman/manufacturer. They would have expreience with binding.

If it's an RI you can afford to play around with it and replace the binding if/when it breaks.

If you must do it yourself tape around the whole radius of the neck in front of and behind the nut, basically clamp the binding to the neck with painters blue tape. I would ever so carefully drill or dremel the nut into sections and see if you can pull them out, sometimes applying heat will loosen the glue.

4. smith plyr

smith plyr Blues Rules Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2005
    Northern Va
    it`s a 75 not a reissue, i will check around on the suggestion you had thanks