Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut slot depth and new strings

Discussion in 'Setup & Repair [DB]' started by Steve Killingsworth, Jan 5, 2003.

1. I currently have a set of Spirocore orchs and am considering trying a set of nylon or gut for a more mellow tone. Most nylon/guts I have seen look like ropes when compared to the spiros. If I make a change will I need to have the grooves in the nut filed out to a larger size?

Steve

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    The only accurate answer to give is "it depends", and it will depend on the size of the new strings vs. the profile of the existing slots in the nut.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    There are darker steel strings that you can try as well. Also some synthetic core strings, like Obligatos and Thomastik Dominants, that might suit your taste.

4. nicklloyd

nicklloyd Supporting Member/Luthier

Jan 27, 2002
    Cincinnati, Ohio
    Steve-
    Yes, you will probably need to widen the groove to accommodate the fatter strings. Just widen, don't go any deeper. Ideally, a string just needs half it's diameter to support it. Some guys have used sandpaper instead of a small round file. Get a finer grit, like 220. When done, a #2 pencil will work as graphite in the slots. The string needs to ride smoothly over the bridge and nut. Oh, and don't leave the bottom of the slots "sqaure". The string should make a gradual arc, with no quick bends.
    Hope this helps!