Nut slot filing for a single string

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by jschulman, Aug 24, 2021.

1. jschulman

jschulman Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    I recently bought a Maruszczyk Frog 5-string, set up with the the standard flats they sell through their custom portal (.45, .65, .85, .105, .125). However I want to switch to TI Jazz Flats. The TI low B is the only string that's a thicker gauge than what's currently on my bass (.136).

Typically I'm fine with setting up my own instruments, but I've never filed a nut slot before and I don't have the tools for it. Is it worth it to buy the right file and and attempt this myself? Is it even necessary with a .011 difference between string gauges?

2. Bloomfield

Bloomfield

Jan 21, 2020
    Nova Scotia
    Yes, you will likely need to file the slot. A standard round needle file should work for that job and will be far cheaper than a nut file, and can be found in most hardware stores, hobby shops, etc. An 1/8" chainsaw file would also work well.

jschulman likes this.
  3. Turnaround

Turnaround Commercial User

May 6, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Independent Instrument Technician
    Maybe. Why not find out first. Slide the string through the nut slot and see if there is any binding and check to see if the strings seats fully to the bottom of the slot. If in doubt about the latter, rub some pencil lead into the bottom of the string slot, slide the string back and forth in the slot and see if it removes any of the lead. If it does, the slot doesn't need widening.

andare, 96tbird and jschulman like this.
  4. jschulman

jschulman Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2018
    Long Island, NY
    Thanks! This is exactly the info I was looking for.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2022