1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut slot question

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Gorn, Jan 8, 2013.

1. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I got a set of heavy gauge roto 66's (50-110) for my carvin LB90. The e string doesn't really sit nestled in the slot. There's no buzzing and it plays just fine. I have super low action and all the notes ring out smooth and clean. The pictures aren't great, but is it ok that so much of the e string sorta pokes out of the slot as long as it plays well? Are there any unforeseen problems? Much thanks

Attached Files:

2. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    One more

Attached Files:

3. Slowgypsy

Slowgypsy 4 Fretless Strings

Dec 12, 2006
    NY & MA
    I couldn't quite tell from the photos, but if the E string is being supported by the sides of the slot in the nut, rather than resting on the bottom of the slots... there's potential for the nut to develop a crack. So, if that's what you're experiencing, you'd be wise to slightly enlarge the nut slot to accommodate this gauge string.

4. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I couldn't get a picture but I can see it does touch the bottom. The slot doesn't seem very deep. It's just a really fat string. So if it touches the bottom it should be ok, I suppose. Maybe I'll get a single 105 e string.

5. daveman50

daveman50 Supporting Member

Feb 24, 2007
    Albany NY
    Nothing wrong with the string sitting proud of the nut slot. As mentioned, the only issue is if it's tight on the sides, the nut may crack. If you can tune the string with no apparent binding, it should be o.k.

6. Gorn

Gorn Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I just ordered a single .100 e string. I like the thick d and g more than the thick e and a anyway.

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Feb 25, 2021