1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Nut slot too wide

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by simoncrequer, Jan 4, 2012.

1. simoncrequer

simoncrequer

Jan 4, 2012
    Noticed my E string was buzzing a lot, so I tried to figure out what was wrong with it. I tried raising the string height, but that didn't work.

Then I noticed the slot in the nut is about 1 1/2 times the width of the string, so I'm pretty sure that's the problem. Also, it sounds like the buzzing is coming from that end.

I don't think a new string/strings is an option because the hole is really wide, so it would take a really fat string... Does it cost much to get a new nut fitted, or is it easy to do it yourself?

I don't know what size the strings are or what kind of nut to get, so should I take it to the shop and see what kind to get?

2. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    if you aren't experienced with cutting/shaping and fitting a nut, take it to a reputable tech and ask for a quote for replacing the nut...he will have the experience and tools to do it right

there are pre-slotted nuts available for purchase--but you need to be a bit familiar with setup of the instrument in order to install and finish the fine tuning of the shape and depth of the slots

3. simoncrequer

simoncrequer

Jan 4, 2012
    Thanks for the advice.

I assumed they would be pre-slotted, is it difficult to cut them?