Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nut Slotting

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Groove Theory, Oct 22, 2004.

1. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    Hey, I'm working on a project, and I'm almost to the point that I will need to install the nut. However, in the past I've just gotten a pre-slotted nut, but I think its about time I just get the precision files that I need to slot 'em myself.

My question is, that when slotting them, I know you dont want the slot to be TOO small or large, how much bigger should the slot be than the string. :help:
    For example, if I'm going to be using a set of regular light gauge strings (.100, .080, .065, .045) would a nut slotted .005 over work (like .105 for the E string slot)? or should it be larger/smaller than that?

I know that Stew-Mac, and warmoth both sell the files, anyone know anywhere else that can offer a few more sizes?
    Thanks! :D

2. Gander

Gander

Jun 5, 2002
    Texas
    I bought .042" and .085" nut slot files from StewMac and they work for all bass strings. Just roll them a bit to cut the wider slots. As far as clearance, I eyeball it just so the string doesn't bind slipping into the slot. Hope this helps.