1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nut too small - Just leave it?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Nalte, May 11, 2010.

1. Nalte

Nalte

May 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I just bought new strings to use BEAD tuning, and I realized that my nut slots are too small. If there are no noticable symptoms (a.k.a., buzz, or string popping out of the nut), do I really need to do anything? It's strange to leave the string sitting on top of the nut, but if it works, what's the harm?

2. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Isn't your action going to be awfully high?

3. Nalte

Nalte

May 10, 2009
    Austin, TX
    I'm on a Warwick Corvette with an adjustable nut, so it shouldn't be an issue.

4. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Well if you like it that way, there really isn't a problem. It could lead to some wear on the nut, but it seems to me the worst THAT would do is hurt resale value a bit.

5. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 20, 2009
    alpha-music.com
    get that fixed ASAP, as you're about to break off the corners of the nut.

at the very least, the pinching will hurt tuning stability and the lack of solid seating can hurt tone.

6. i hate username

i hate username

Jan 9, 2006
    Which just a nut is it. Are you using those dark lord strings. If its a J.A.N. 3 you can pop off the top of the nut and you should be able to get a top that is designed to fit those strings. You'll need the nut from a Vampire Dark lord. If your in the states dana b goode should be able to supply you one, and from what i hear they are pretty good with just sending small items out for free.

Changing the nut to that doesn't require and actual modding to the bass as the tops of the nuts just slide out and so long as you don't loose the original nut top youll be able to go back to EADG if you want. Otherwise you'll just end up breaking your nut and having to get a replacement one anyway