Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shikee, Jan 17, 2003.

1. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    once again thanks for previous help with truss rod. now i have a nut problem. i have the strings wound properly about 3 wraps and it is pulling downward toward the nut, but it makes a kind of fluttering sound when i hit my b string open. if i put pressure on the string just behing the nut it stops. i can see a little gap under the string on the headstock side of the nut. it seems like it just doesn't want to sit in there all the way. this is a brass nut also.

2. Have you changed a gauge of strings? Although i didnt think brass nuts wore down like that when u go down in gauges... hmmm try packing the gap with a bit of folded paper/cardboard and see if it goes away.

:D:D

Merls

Anyone?

3. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    it shouldn't be worn down, because it is about 2 weeks old. unfortunatly i ordered is from musician's friend so i can't just cruise over to the music store and swap it. it came with 130's on it and i put 120's on but it did it with both sets. i am having a hell of a time for this being brand new, and it is a spector NS2000/5. i have 45 days to return from purchase date but if this can be corrected i would rather not pay to ship it back to them.