1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

nut?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by shikee, Jan 17, 2003.

1. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    once again thanks for previous help with truss rod. now i have a nut problem. i have the strings wound properly about 3 wraps and it is pulling downward toward the nut, but it makes a kind of fluttering sound when i hit my b string open. if i put pressure on the string just behing the nut it stops. i can see a little gap under the string on the headstock side of the nut. it seems like it just doesn't want to sit in there all the way. this is a brass nut also.

2. Have you changed a gauge of strings? Although i didnt think brass nuts wore down like that when u go down in gauges... hmmm try packing the gap with a bit of folded paper/cardboard and see if it goes away.

:D:D

Merls

Anyone?

3. shikee

shikee

Dec 26, 2002
    dallas, tx
    it shouldn't be worn down, because it is about 2 weeks old. unfortunatly i ordered is from musician's friend so i can't just cruise over to the music store and swap it. it came with 130's on it and i put 120's on but it did it with both sets. i am having a hell of a time for this being brand new, and it is a spector NS2000/5. i have 45 days to return from purchase date but if this can be corrected i would rather not pay to ship it back to them.