Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nuts for big strings and small strings and only 1 bass

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Captain_joe6, Aug 16, 2005.

1. Going off my other post about nuts, I have another question for the gurus. I've tried and enjoy both the TI jazz flats and the Fender Nylon fillament roundwounds. I'd like to be able to switch between the two on one instrument, but the TI's are fairly normal-sized and the Fenders are HUGE (0.070-0.100). What am I to do? Would it be possible to either shim a nut cut for fenders when I use TI's or could I just leave the nut unglued and swap them out whenever I changed? Anything helps!

2. cool, thanks for the advice on both counts. Now, as for that profile... ;) I got around to filling it in.

3. The nut on my warmoth deluxe five has never been glued in place. Depending on the instrument string pressure alone should be enough to keep it in, as long as you don't mind it falling out when changing strings and/or shifting when changing strings. When strings are on though it doesn't budge.

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Not a good idea to switch between strings so different on one bass. Not only will you have to use different nuts but you will end up having to reset your truss rod because of the huge tension difference, and you'll have to adjust your action and intonation every time as well. My advice is to buy another bass or stick with one or the other until you can get another bass.