Nuts! Nuts! Nuts!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by tplyons, Nov 30, 2003.

1. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Anyway, string buzz at the nut, I thought it was because I cut the string too short and am too cheap to replace it, so I got a bar to be sure the A string breaks farther at the neck. Simple fix, but the A string's notch in the nut is WAY too big. Previous owner tried heavier strings perhaps?

Anyway, it's a MIM plastic nut on a P-bass, definately replacable, but I'm wondering, does the nut material REALLY matter?

Graphite isn't totally necessary because I don't use a trem, but I do a lot of bending... Good idea?

Will the material make much difference in the tone with active EMG's? I just spoke to a guitarist who recently got a new nut for his guitar. He's trying to convince me that it really only effects the trebles, beyond the range of a bass.

Should I look into a new nut? What are the pros and cons of each materials?
  2. Well, I feel there is a tonal difference in Brass compared to Bone, compared to Plastic.

Brass is brighter, Bone has more midrange and plastic.....:meh:

I have a Brass nut in my 76 P bass and it sounds frickin' bright compared to all my other P basses.

3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Value doesn't mean anything to me, I've invested far more in this bass than I would ever get back out of it. I'm going for the best possible tone, and it's already amazing from a MIM P-bass, but I figure the nut's at fault, perhaps I'll try something new. Any recommendations?
  4. I've got blanks for aircraft aluminum, brass, Corian, and phenolic.

Here's the scoop on each:

1. Aluminum - Easiest metal to work, excellent for "all chrome" color schemes, very dense but lighter than brass, passes high frequencies more readily than any others. Polishes nicely

2. Brass - Fairly easy to work, traditional choice for bass instruments, extremely dense, excellent choice combined with high mass bridge for increased sustain. Polishes nicely

3. Corian - modern engineered polymer, extremely dense and hard, nice color reminescent of ivory (off white/beighe), very easy to machine, good look with bound bodies, great general replacement for plastic. Polishable

4. Phenolic - extemely hard but easily worked material made from compressed layers of resin impregnated cellulose sheets. Very slick like graphite without the cost. Black, polishable

Each of these materials make good, long lasting nuts in any variety.

Remember though, that no nut - no matter how exotic or expensive - will have any noticeable effect on notes that are fretted. The fret acts like the nut and takes any tone difference gained from the the nut, out of the loop.

Hope this helps
  5. notabob

Sep 20, 2003
    cincinnati ohio
    ooooooooooooooo...treena said frickin'!!!!! someone report her to a moderator!!!!!