Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nuts

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by lock12bassist, May 29, 2004.

1. what is your favorite type of nut and why

2. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    My faves are the religious kind.

3. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    /Comedy Peanut answer

PEANUTS!

/Comedy Peanut answer

4. I'm interested in the brass ones. All my basses and guit.ars have been equiped with plastic so far... Plastic seems cheap.

But religious nuts are my second favorite too.

5. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    I prefer to have my nuts where they should be... :eek: on my basses, that is :p

The adjustable Just-A-Nut II is not bad, but the brass Just-A-Nut I, with adjustment for each string, IMO was better

6. there must be something with me just now.. I can't stop laughing at close to every thread... :eyebrow:
    :hyper:

7. I could recommend brass nuts, they make a real difference to the sound of your bass... :)

8. how do they affect the tone of the wood?

waaahahahahheemwuahahahaha... :ninja: :help:

9. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Positively :p

They already have bell brass frets - and they sound good! :cool:

10. 6-3-2

6-3-2

Sep 20, 2003
    I really don't know, I got this super hard shiny composite on my bass now, wish I knew what it was. Does the nut material really make a huge difference? I know a cheap plastic isn't good, but bone or graphite, or brass, is the difference noticable? Or is it something small?

11. If I had a choice, I'd go with brass, but especially in an adjustable one. Man, that really makes setup so much easier to tailor to your specific needs. Plus, a well-cut brass nut would last forever.

I'll bet that certain materials produce more sustain than cheaper materials. I feel confident that brass would be one of these materials. I would like to hear more about this from veterans who have taken the time to actually compare?

Mag...

12. Fred312b

Fred312b What if I want to play jazz precisely? Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Chicago, IL
    there was an article in bass player mag a few issues ago with vinnie fodera and he was saying he uses brass because he feels it gives the open string more of a "fretted" sound, and i'll lay dollars to donuts (my favorite kind of nuts btw (mmm, jelly....)) that he knows more about this stuff than me. but as the saying goes, opinions are like... and i also seem to recall him saying brass nuts DON'T last forever, since brass is rather a soft metal ... my favorite bass playing nut is, of course, P-nut from 311 :bassist:

13. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    You know, I was being a total smartass when I said "religious nuts are my fave," because I thought dude started a doofus thread about what kind of edible nuts we liked and why. As I read the rest of your responses, I was like, "People, the guy wants to know if we like peanuts, cashews, almonds, etc. -- why are ya'll talking about brass nuts on your basses?" Then, I looked at the forum and saw it was "Basses" instead of "Off Topic," which would mean we are supposed to be talking about graphite, brass and nickel nuts on our basses.

Who's the doofus now?

:D :D :D

14. pmkelly

pmkelly

Nov 28, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    that was pretty funny! LOL and all that!

I was reading in my latest stew-mac catalog that Sadowsky talks up this nut pretty big... it's called the slip stone... I will probably try one out on something soon....

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/5/String_Nuts.html

P@

15. Limo

Limo

Sep 22, 2002
    Reykjavik Iceland
    Nino-Brown, Bikeplate and fhodson are my favorite nuts because they are just great.

16. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    Graphite/phenolic

17. ClassicJazz

ClassicJazz Bottom Feeders Unite!! Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Delray Beach, Florida
    How 'bout these poor nuts!

[​IMG]

18. Keef

Keef

Jul 3, 2003
    Hollywood, CA
    Your link appears to be broken... this one should work:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Nuts,_saddles/String_nuts/Slip-Stone_Nuts.html

This quote is on that page:

"Slip-Stone is my favorite nut material for improved tuning stability. I use it on all guitars with tremolos and Bigsbys, all electrics with angle 3+3 headstocks, and any other guitars with excessive 'pinging' or 'creaking' at the nut. I also use it on basses with Hipshot D-tuners."

— Roger Sadowsky, Sadowsky Guitars, Brooklyn, NY

19. I just put a Graph-Tech nut on a project bass I did. I was pleased with it. I originally used a Tusq nut, but swapped out for aesthetic reasons (black over white). I noticed no difference at all in open string sound between those two, and the cheesy plastic one that was replaced.

20. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Since you two about covered what I was fixin to say.....I have to make an honest comment. My T 40 had a brass nut, and every one since has had a plastic nut of some sort. I loved the brass nut on the T 40, and prefer to use Tusq when ever possible now. I bought one to replace the uber cheapo nut that was on my uber cheap (price) P Bass copy. The Tusq is a fine choice.

That being said as long as the nut that comes on a bass is not a cheap plastic P.O.S., I wont change it.

Too, if given a chance I will always go for a brass nut where possible.

Off the subject, but not really, this is also why I like zero fret basses.....then any old nut will do! Or should I say with a zero fret who cares about your nuts?
    :D