Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

nuts

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 18, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have a squier p-bass (5-string) that ive been customizing little by little. I want to replace the nut on it but have no idea what that really entails so Im going to take it to a professional. I was just curious on how much sumthing like that would cost, keep in mind its a 5 stringer and i wanna get either a good plastic or brass nut. thanks alot

2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    If you're going to spend the money for a new nut to be customized, I would recommend not getting a plastic one, I'm not a fan of plastic nuts, although if you really want one, go for it. graphite is nice, bone is good too, brass is pretty good too, although I dont know if it would cost more to do or not considering it is probably a bit harder to work with than like a bone nut.
    Back when I started making my first bass I looked into getting a nut made by a local luthier here, and I believe he quoted me $40 for a graphite nut/installation/the works....I decided to make it myself and it turned out pretty good...
    Hope that helps a little :D

3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Memphis
    Bone or Corian will sound better and last longer than plastic and brass. Less expensive than brass, too.