Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by thisSNsucks, Jan 18, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I have a squier p-bass (5-string) that ive been customizing little by little. I want to replace the nut on it but have no idea what that really entails so Im going to take it to a professional. I was just curious on how much sumthing like that would cost, keep in mind its a 5 stringer and i wanna get either a good plastic or brass nut. thanks alot
  2. Groove Theory

Groove Theory Grizzly Adams DID have a beard.

Oct 3, 2004
    The Psychiatric Ward
    If you're going to spend the money for a new nut to be customized, I would recommend not getting a plastic one, I'm not a fan of plastic nuts, although if you really want one, go for it. graphite is nice, bone is good too, brass is pretty good too, although I dont know if it would cost more to do or not considering it is probably a bit harder to work with than like a bone nut.
    Back when I started making my first bass I looked into getting a nut made by a local luthier here, and I believe he quoted me $40 for a graphite nut/installation/the works....I decided to make it myself and it turned out pretty good...
    Hope that helps a little :D
  3. Lyle Caldwell

Lyle Caldwell

Sep 7, 2004
    Bone or Corian will sound better and last longer than plastic and brass. Less expensive than brass, too.