Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by cassanova, Dec 18, 2002.

1. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    I need to get a new nut for my bass. I know there are several different types out there. I know they dont affect overall tone in a very noticable way. What I dont know is, is one type better than the other? I was thinking of a brass one, but Im a bit leary, for some reason I have this fear that it might shorten the life of my strings and maybe affect the tone somehow. Ive also thought about graphite and bone.

I just dont know which would be the best possible one to go with. The only nuts Ive ever had were plastic.
  2. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    You should talk to Hambone over in setup, he's quite knowledgeable.
  3. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    This goes in Setup.

By the way, Timothy is Leary. The rest of us are leery...:p
  4. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    I have always liked the graphite nuts the best.

I am not sure that I know what's so great about brass unless it is one of those adjustable nuts like Warwick used before they got cheap.

IME, plastic or bone nuts tend to stick a bit, so when you are tuning you tend to get quick jumps in pitch or sometimes when you loosen the tuner, the string won't tune down evenly.

You can loosen the slots to prevent this, but then you run the chance of a little nut buzz. Especially if you drop the string guage.

Graphite stays slick and the strings move in it very easily yet fit snugly in the groove.

Tonally, it doesn't matter at all, IME.

5. cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Thanks Chas, I didnt think it would matter tonally to be honest with you.

I went out and bought a graphite one. Now I just gotta figure out how to do the job myself.