1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Nuts.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by WarrenD, Oct 21, 2010.

1. Hello all,

I've a question about nuts.

Yesterday I noticed the top nut on my Yamaha 5 string was cracked (left of the low B string) and in fact loose.

This happened a couple of years ago with my Fender Precision (right of the G string).

Before I order a new nut I try to glue the loose part back on, which has worked in the past, but just for a while. Getting a replacement is easy, but I have a problem fitting them!

I play metal and use fingers. I suspect the aggressive styles pressures the nut to cracking point, or it could be, simply, age.

Does anyone else experience what they would describe as a comparatively frequent cracking of nuts?

Thanks.

2. Aggressive playing could cause it, but I reckon you'd have to be very violent.

I'd be more inclined to the idea that your B string is a touch too thick for the nut slot & is exerting pressure. That plus aggressive playing (especially if you bend the B*) would likely be enough.

Can you get a brass nut that fits?

*not a euphemism, but it really ought to be

3. My style isn't so aggressive, but a lot of fast playing occurs.

Perhaps it's more to do with the violent temperature drops during Oktober in Sweden!

If I can find a brass replacement, I'll certainly buy one.

Thanks.

4. I hate to be the one who starts a huge debate here but the nut only affects the open sound of the string . Brass is very hard to work with . You're much better off with a Graphtech or Micarta or even a genuine Bone nut .

5. You're absolutely right about the sound - but the issue here appears to be one of strength, not tone.

WD... Did it crack under the string, or did it split down the side of the slot? Also, what gauge is your B?

6. kalle74

kalle74

Aug 27, 2004
    I had a bone nut cut for my Yamaha 5stg. Cost 20 euros. Look for a guitar repairperson near you. Brass is also an option, but some warn against it for tuning stability issues.

7. Deathblade, my B string is gauge 125, quite common I think, and it's been tuned down a step, to A. Tension would have been lower, therefore, and the crack occurred right under the string.

8. The only thing I can think of is that the string was just a little tight in the slot & split it. Of course, we can't tell now that the damage is done :( 0.125" is only a nominal measurment; it's quite possible to get a string that's a little shy of that, or a tad over - it's called Manufacturing Tolerance.

I pretty much think you're left with finding a local luthier & getting them to cut a new bespoke nut. You can find ready-made replacements, but they're likely to still need tweaking about to suit your bass & setup, & by the time you've done all that you may find it's quicker & more cost-effective to get a pro to do it.

Pete.