Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Nuyorican Soul - Runaway - Mousse T mix

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by MatW, Apr 9, 2002.

1. MatW

MatW

May 10, 2000
    UK, Swindon
    Hi,

I've got a CD single of Nuyorican Soul's Runaway. Mousse T's 'Jazz Funk experience' mix has a bass part that just smokes. It kicks off at the 1'30 mark, and from then on in it's just an unstoppable runaway funk train.

This is one of the best examples of fingerstyle funk I've heard. It's loud, tight and you can hear every single note, it's right in your face.

I've got most of it down, so it's not too hard, but it just grooves so well. I bet the dude who played it must have been really pleased with himself after that session!

Anyway,

a) Has anyone else heard it? (it dates back to '97). I'd love to hear your comments.

b) Who's the cat who laid down the track? I'd like to hear some more of his work.

I've got on Mp3, but it's probably not cool to post a link from a copyright point of view. However I urge you to check it out.

2. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes I've got the Nuyorican Soul album and it is great - I listen to it in the car a lot, a nice mix of Jazz/Funk/Latin and contemporary dance.

The bass player on this track is Gene Perez and I remember seeing an article in Bass Player about him saying he was one of the best session players around. Some great playing on this track definitely and I would be interested to hear more, but don't know what else he played on?

3. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
    Sorry for waking up this thread after a year. I just want to add that Gene Perez played in some salsa band, and also did several singles with the Masters at Work... Check out the Masters at work compilations, his funky bass playing is definitely worth a listen.

Ari

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Nuyorican Soul is a Masters at Work production.

5. Ari

Ari

Dec 6, 2001
  6. RUBY1

RUBY1

Dec 6, 2004

gene has 102 cd credit on aol web site gene perez.

7. RUBY1

RUBY1

Dec 6, 2004
    GENE HAS 102 + ALBUMS CREDITED ROLE: AT AOL WEB SITE. CHECK IT OUT. HE'S CURRENTLY WORKING WITH MASTER AT WORK, WILLIE COLON, NUYORICAN SOUL, MARY WILSON, ELEMENT OF LIFE, & DAVE MORALES.