NV 610 vs. Bag End QX10-d

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by morebass!, Aug 22, 2005.

1. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Anyone care to compare these? The Bag End is the shallow 12" deep version. Which would offer more volume? Would the Bag End be as tight in the low end? Could you EQ the Bag End to sound like the NV? Thanks.
  2. You mean, other than the fact that one had 6 times as much speaker area? I'm not sure I get what your asking?
  3. The Clap

The Clap

Jan 5, 2004
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Edit// It seems we're talking about a 4x10, not a 1x10. My post is now without substance

Yea, a 1x10 and a 6x10 aren't really comparable. The 6x10 will be louder at all volumes. You won't be able to EQ a 1x10 to sound six times bigger, at least not at any appreciable volume.
  4. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    The Bag End he is referring to is a 4x10 cab, I believe.

Still, the Berg 6x10 is going to be louder, for sure.
  5. Lowtonejoe

Lowtonejoe Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Richland, WA
    Yeah. The Q stands for Quad.
  6. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    These are very differrent cab's. The Berg is sealed, no ? The BE is ported. The BE cab goes down to 40 but has a low mid-range bump. Not sure about the Bergie that way.

I have the D-10D-X which s the 2x10 equivalent of that cab and I adore it. It absolutely rocks. The first cab in my rig in years without JBL's in it. I just snagged another, but this time the deeper cab form the GFS here.

I really don't want or need to lug a large cab around these days. If I did, those two cab's would be very high on my list.

I'm an ex-SVT owner and I think the Bergie is about as close as you can come in a modern day cab. On the other hand, the BE is a suprising cabinet. Doesn't really sound like all that much by itself. It isn't a cab that blows you away when you demo it solo. Get it in a band setting and it's full and rich, yet has a lot of cut through. I really like that BE cab a lot (can you tell?)
  7. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i think those would prove to be very different cabs. i havent heard the nv 610, but in most cases you'd expect a 610 to be louder and deeper sounding. The old BE Q10 is not as low end heavy as the newer 18" deep version. It is rear ported, but the ports are pretty small. Still, it's not going to have the same type of response as a sealed cabinet, which can be be very "tight" in the low end. in general sealed cabs arent as loud (efficient) as ported ones, but every cab's different. I have heard great things about the nv 610, and i know quite a few cats here (i think fuzzbass is one of them) have them and rave about 'em. Overall I think i'ts a mistake to try to EQ one cab to sound like another. Aside from your bass and technique, your speaker cab(s) are going to have the largest impact on your tone as they are the final link in the chain and are actually producing the sound. If you don't like the way the cab sounds, you're not going to be able to EQ that away with great effect.
  8. thejohnkim

Sep 30, 2003
    i thought that the NV series was meant to have a vintage flavor, different from the modern-sounding HT series.
  9. morebass!

morebass! I'm listening Supporting Member

May 31, 2002
    Madison WI
    Yes the BE is a 4x10. It is the older 12" deep version which I think was designed to sit on a 18, maybe with the ELF systems. However I'm thinking it might work as a stand alone for me because I've been cutting lows in my current rig (two 4x10s). I do like a tight response though and maybe should get the NV for that reason. They weigh about the same and handle about the same amount of power. It doesn't sound like anyone has actually played through both though nice things were said about both. I'm intrigued with the comment about the low-mid bump on the Bag End. I thought it was supposed to be pretty flat. Sounds like it might have some character of its own!
  10. popinfresh

Dec 23, 2004
    Melbourne, Aus
    The 610 is sealed. Don't know how MUCH of a volume diff that would make.