1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NV215 arrived today...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by FireBug, May 2, 2006.

1. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    ...and I'm just blown away at how awesome it sounds. I can't believe it's discontinued. Not quite as punchy as the NV425 I tried a while back, but I really dig the sound of 15s. The cabinet has this natural warmth to it that I absolutely love. So far I've only tried it out with my M-Pulse 360 and it sounds killer. If I turn it up, the amp starts to fart, though. I can't wait to try it with my 400+ (which will be tomorrow when we practice). I guess I should be prepared to be blown away again...when I got the 400+, it really showed me what a Goliath III was capable of.

So what should I expect tomorrow? I have a feeling that when I crank some major watts into this thing it will sound its best.

Now I need to start looking for a 2x10 or something of that nature...any suggestions? Thanks.

EDIT - By the way, I know this thread is worthless without proof. Pics on the way.

2. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I'm just gonna get it out of the way and suggest an NV610 to go with it. :)

Congratulations, by the way!

3. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY

Goliath III? 400+? NV215? Are you stalking me? Are you getting a DB750 next? :D

Just kidding, congrats on the cab, its a great piece of gear.

4. You forgot about the SA200 ;)

Seems like everyone is GASin for this rig (NV215 + NV610). Does anybody actually have it? I don't even think Tom has it :eek:

5. I used to use a yamaha 610 with matching 215 for a very short while, but it wouldn't have been as nice haha.

6. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle
    Here's one:

[​IMG]

7. msquared

msquared

Sep 19, 2004
    Kansas City
    I didn't forget.. I just didn't want to give myself any more GAS than I already have. There's an Orange AD200 in a store nearby that I keep eyeing. :)

I might be the only one not GASing for it despite my mention. I have an NV610 and I don't even feel tempted to play the pair of them because it's so close to "perfect" by itself.

8. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    I like... I like... I like... :hyper:

...however, I luv 15"s, too, so what I went did was buy an NV425 before the NV's all disappeared. Whenever I get the chance, I hook it up, along with my most favorite... NV215... to my Big Daddy Aggie DB750... :smug:

...oh, yeah, baby! Imagine 3 x 15"s and 3 x 10"s... :eek:

Oh yeah... 'Firebug'... congratulations, man! You will forever be a very happy bass man... that much I can assure you with confidence. Did you happen to get yourself a new one? Also, where did you get it? I got my NV215 from the fine folks at Bass Emporium over there in Austin. John Files packed it up, along with the cover, which he tossed into the deal at no charge, and had it shipped to Long Beach, CA. From there it got shipped over the ocean here to Paradise. My NV215 was slightly used... got it in Feb-05. My NV425, which was a new one, came from Basses- Electric & Acoustic. Juan Ortiz also packed it up and had it shipped down to Long Beach from Rancho Cordova. The NV425 arrived this past February...

9. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    For the record, Tom has every bass cab ever made by a certain man named Jim Bergantino.

10. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Well...I do have a chance to get an NV610 for $800 used. But by the time I'm able to afford it it will more than likely be gone. I'd love to have an NV425 though. I also do kind of miss having a tweeter...

I had a manager at GC do a nation-wide search for Bergantino gear. Got this one used in *pristine* condition for $800 shipped.

11. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Actually, I do! And vroc38 and I are not alone!

Check out The Dude's rig!
    svtberg.

And yes, they do sound as fantabulistic as you might possibly hope they could together! :D :bassist: :cool:

12. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    I'm missing a couple (for now). ;)

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    And yes, congrats FireBug! I think you will be very happy indeed with the 400+/NV215! :)

14. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    Nice score, dude... :D

15. FireBug

FireBug

Sep 18, 2005
    Houston
    Thanks guys. I'm pretty sure this cab has a few more surprises to throw at me. A better fretted bass and a complete retube and I should be in business. I got to use it with my 400+ tonight because I couldn't wait. Still haven't cranked it yet though. Tomorrow I need to dial in my tone, try it out with some of that yummy tube overdrive, and piss the neighbors off. In that order.

16. Big String

Big String Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2000
    Northwest Indiana
    Congrats... you won't be disappointed. I want to hear my NV215 with a 400+ too. I'm using a DB750 right now and it's pretty awesome especially using flatwounds on my bass.

17. TrooperFarva

TrooperFarva

Nov 25, 2004
    New City, NY
    I much prefer the DB750, but that's just me, and the 400+ into the NV215 is not a bad sound at all, it just wasn't what I was after.

18. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    Fremont, Ohio
    The DB 750 is one of my favorite heads with the NV215 (and vice versa, the NV215 is one of my favorite cabs with the DB 750). My other top two heads for the NV215 would be the Trace Elliot V8 and the Sadowsky SA200.

Tom.

19. ptidwell

ptidwell Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    NV 215 is on my hit list.
    They all seem to be in the east and mid-west.
    Hopefully I will be able to snag one out here on the west side.

20. the dude

the dude Supporting Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Indy
    Thanks Tom!

Yeah, they are amazing together - and nearly "require" one (or two!) big tube amps. SVT is my preferred flavor.