NV215 Thanks Cory!/Rock City

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Andrew Jones, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Andrew Jones

Andrew Jones Banned

Feb 28, 2001
    Northampton Mass
    I've been waiting for the right oppertunity to take advantage of Cory's at Rock City Guitars very Classy offer of a loan of a bergantino cab to try on a gig.

As some may know I've had a pair of the Berg 112's for a couple of years now. I've been very happy with them. They can be wresled into emulating alot of great/Clasic Tones.The one that I truely love that Old school Fat Blues tone thick tone,is one that I want more authentic than what I've been getting.

So I waited for a day that that I really wanted that tone to try out one of the berg large format cabs.Yesterday I had a double, First was a Covershow of Jimi Hendrix's BAND OF GYPSIES album.This was in Berklee's Cafetiria a crappy boomy mess of a room,that tightens up to reasonable if you fill it.The second was a Jazz/Funk Jam for a birthday party in a Barn in VT, this was all over the place with a basic band of Guitar/sax/drums/bass.everything from striaght inside swing to one cord effects laden funky grooves.

For the Hendrix thing I used my Lakland USA JO4/passive with flats though a sans amp into a walter woods ultra into a BergNV215. Up close on stage the tone was fat full and thick really just poler opisite of the 2/112's that I usually run. I kinda was missing the Physical punch of the little guys,though. I was thinking about the 425 a couple of times during the set.

For the Party Gig I Mainly used my Fodera lincoln Goines Model.But for a couple of dub type tunes I used the Lakand/sans amp. Same WW amp and Berg 215 and a crappy effect chain consisting of the sans amp some borrowed fuzz pedal and my boss multi thing.Again there that big fat thinck tone I spent alot of time on the bottom 3 strings just loving the texture.This gig went late with a couple people sitting in. I didnt notice any change in the tone over what turned into about 4 hours of playing.

Overall I thought It performed great! Volume wise for some reason I was expecting more than My 2/12's but there really wasnt or mabye its that the 12's sit in a place that they have the illusion of being louder than they are and then the oppisisite for the 215. I dream of putting together a big rig and if I do I'll make sure I could run the 12's with the big cab for the out door stuff.

BIG THANKS to CORY at ROCK CITY for the loan.Class act all around IMHO.

2. badsneakers

May 31, 2004
    Rock City is great!! Always helpful and happy to answer my questions, as stupid as they might be at times. I started going there this year and have spent to much money and I still don't have everything I need. :p
  3. inazone

Apr 20, 2003
    Thanks for the review and a good one it was. After reading your review and playing through the nv425, the 425 looks like it would fit you better. What did you think of the 5" speaker for mids and highs? Could you tell it was doing its job?
  4. The NV-215 is my favorite cab. I like the way the 5" works for bass better than the tweeters in my Bergie 210/115 stack.

I've always liked a thick vintage tone more than a modern cab and 10s.

For carrying around day to day, my 112s serve me fine.