Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NV215 vs. GS412

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by jacove, Oct 11, 2005.

1. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Anyone ever compared these two large cabs.... :bassist:

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I've heard the GS412 in a store, and I own an NV215. The GS412 sounded pretty good, but personally, I think that the NV215 is one of the finest cabs I have ever played. I can't say enough good things about it.

But maybe that's just me... :p

Tom.

3. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    I was wondering which one will give the tighest and most focused sound without loosing deep bottom....I would imagine that the 12"s er more focues than the 15"s but then again the 15's are in a sealed box vs. the ported...Tom, do you find that the NV215 gets boomy and muddy, can it keep definition in a mix, or is just for that low rumblinh-reggae kind of sound?

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NV215 is amazingly non-boomy or muddy. Being a sealed cab, it has a very tight, fast detailed response, even way down low. The lows are very deep, very dynamic, and I find that it has exceedingly good definition (all the way up to 7 kHz, too).

Tom.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    So Tom. How does the 215 compare to the NV-610 ?

6. jacove

jacove

Apr 12, 2003
    Aalborg, Denmark
    Well, I own the nv610, and this is THE BIG PUNCH MACHINE....very focused in the low mids...I would imagine more deep bottom end and high end with the NV215 and the GS412....but haven't tried those cabs yet...

7. Keeaumoku

Keeaumoku

Dec 29, 2004
    +1

Sorry, Tom... it ain't just you. I "suffer" the same afliction, but I think you might know that already. :D

BTW... I also have a D410XLT, which is a truly fine cabinet, too. However, there's nothing like the sound of quality 15" bass drivers, and Jim Bergantino got his right... ;)

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The NV610 has all the punch you could ever want. I find it to be very reminiscent of the vintage Ampeg 8x10's, but it is of course much more portable. The NV215 goes a good bit deeper, and also goes a good bit higher, with it's 6" midrange driver. The NV610 is probably the best suited to overdriven tones. Of the two, the NV215 is much more tonally balanced across its frequency range. I think the two together would be a killer rig.

Tom.

9. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Oooo gawd, my back! aiiieee;)

10. I'll be putting this to the test in the new year.

:D

11. Senor SQUID

Senor SQUID Guest

Jan 11, 2004
    I have owned a GS412 and it sounded pretty good. The NV215 is the last cainet that I need. I am in love with the tone with the NV215 paired w/ my DB750 and Sadowsky 5 string. I play in a dub reggae environment

12. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

If we can schedule a local GTG this fall, I think I heard arbitrary say he knows someone who can bring an NV215, and he can bring his 610. Then we could compare them side-by-side. :D

Additionally, someone who posted interest in coming to a GTG in the Portland proposed GTG thread has a NV425 listed in his profile . . . :meh:

Potential large sealed cab faceoff? I'm game. :) What would be ideal is to do that with a good tube head.

FWIW, I've moved arbitrary's 610, and with the wheels and tilt handle, it's easier to move in some situations than my IP310.

13. I currently own the NV215, used to own an NV610, but I'd really like to hear a gs412 some day.