1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NV610 vs. SA410 vs. HT322

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Kurisu, Mar 21, 2006.

1. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    For those that were at the Bowlus get together... And Tom, of course... And others who may have tried all three at some point...

I'm having trouble figuring out what to get next. Sometimes I really like JPJ's tone. Sometimes I really love Entwistle's tone. Sometime's I really like Tetsu's tone (L'arc~en~ciel -- think very very growly with absolutely no distortion, but thick like a blanket all the way to the 14th fret on the G-string).

Can the NV610 provide this hi-fi clean and clear level of growl in the lower registers, and keep the tone thick up to the G-string 14th or 16th fret?

If not, can the HT322 or the SA410? I suppose I would have to turn the tweeter off, which is fine. But if I do that will I lose the clarity in the lower notes? (What I would call the growl... Because growl without a clear cab = mud, IMHO). But clear doesn't mean clanky fret-buzzing highs, because I never hear that out of the 70's recordings (that could be expert technique, though...).

Does this make sense? Should I try interpretive dance? :p

Info - I have a Thunderfunk TFB420, and if I get the HT322 I know I may have to upgrade, which is fine too. Maybe to a DB750, who knows.

2. I havn't tried the SA 410, but I can tell you that the Berg HT series in general is not really designed for growl (I have an HT 210 and NV 610). The 610, on the other hand, growls like no other if you feed it the right signal. What I found the 610 to lack was sizzly highs (the lows were great though and just get better when you turn up) so I now use the HT 210 with the NV 610.

3. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    I've owned an NV610 and an SA410. The sound you describe is a textbook definition of the NV610. The HT322 is much more hi fi. Find an NV610, buy it, and you'll never look back. The SA410 can do the same sound (with a little more low extension), but why have a tweeter if you don't need it?

4. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    Hey Cheeze,

So far you're the single most dangerous influence on my wallet, you know that!? I'm also seriously considering getting a DJ Lakland because of you! :)

So, if I understand you right, the NV610 has very good definition in the body of the notes, so you can hear the bridge growl of a jazz (or in my case a G&L) clearly, even at high volume? And as you get high up on the neck on the 2nd and 1st string the notes are thick and have weight, as opposed to sounding like guitar strings?

Though I honestly don't know how much the cab has to do with this sound, and how much has do with the bass and the amp. Thanks so much for your help!

5. Kurisu

Kurisu

Nov 19, 2003
    Saskatoon SK
    So, you mean growl as in the deep cat-like purring of the low notes, right? And the NV610 can give that without sounding muddy?

I guess I'm just worried that the lack of a tweeter will make it sound like you're playing through a blanket. And this would kind of destroy the nice definition I would like. I don't know the h&ll I'm talking about, honestly. :) I just like those tones I mentioned above. I bet you they were recorded through a DI into a Neve preamp.

Thanks man!

6. Don't worry about a tweeter. You won't have crisp highs with a NV 610, but you will have a very smooth high end. The Bergie does not at all sound like playing through a blanket, especially when you turn it up some :smug: . It gets tons of growl, but its not muddy. You should try to find one to try out.

7. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    I use a TFB420 with an NV425 and it really gets close to the JPJ tone. A passive J-bass with flats into this rig is as close to the Zep II tone I have ever gotten.

The t-funk has plenty of power on tap for the NV cabs.

The TFB is one of the closest production amps to the sound of the Acoustic 360 (IMHO). Keep in mind that the 18in folded horn cab also had a lot to od with JPJ's sound, that's why I got the NV425 instead of the 610.

As far as JE's sound, swap out the TFB for an Ashdown ABM 500 EVO II and a more agressive bass(P-bass?) and you'll be in the ballpark of his sound.

And of course: PRACTICE PRACTICE PRACTICE! JPJ and JE's sound is 90% on their attack and technique in general and not thier gear.

8. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio
    Thanks, I think! The DJ is an awesome bass and the NV610 is an awesome cab. Both products are so good, I just have to share my love for em.

The NV610 is an extremely well defined cab. Now I don't mean it is hi fi, but the notes ring out loud and true, even at high volumes. I pushed mine with a Mesa 400+ turned up LOUD, and it never protested in the least. It's a great cab for a "growly" sounding bass (although I HATE that word, because it has so many different meanings to different people!)

Undeniably, all three components have a big part in the sound. A crap bass into a good head and cab will sound like crap. A good bass into a crap head and cab will sound like...crap, etc.

9. vroc38

vroc38

Jan 5, 2006
    Seattle

10. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    I'm also going to weigh in on the side of the NV610. Jim chose those 10's specifically for their higher frequency extension (they definitely go higher than the 10's used in his HT series), and the result is that you get amazing upper midrange and high end clarity without a tweeter. Growl is abundant with this cab (if you want it), and the 610 sounds great top to bottom with a bit of a grit/grind/growl dialed in. I think this cab would be perfect for what you are after.

That said, as Pat points out, the SA410 can cop much of the 610's vibe (though nothing does the 'NV610 thing' like an NV610!), and it has a great sounding tweeter (combined with 10's that go up fairly high, too). The SA410 is ultimately more versatile, but it sounds like the 610 is the tool for you.

As for the HT322, it is just a killer full range, tonally balanced, forceful, dynamic powerhouse. It likes a good bit of juice behind it, and it does offer a huge tone. The tweeter transitions very smoothly to the drivers, and has a sweetness and thickness to it which I find rather unique (and good!). But, it doesn't seem like it's quite what you are after (and, of course, the NV610 does!).

So, NV610 all the way. :cool:

Tom.