1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NVPBD: The Saga of the P

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ric4682, Dec 17, 2016.

Tags:
  1. ric4682

ric4682 Supporting Member

Jul 2, 2008
    First some background. (Long post)
    My main bass is a 2007 Ric 4003 and I love it to pieces. There's something so full and even sounding and it plays like a dream. I've never found a bass that sits so perfectly in the mix FOR ME. My main band is a classic rock, funk, and jam band.

Let's go wayyyyyy back about 6 or 7 years ago. On a fateful night much like tonight the Ric was in the shop getting some work done and I had a few gigs coming up so I had to buy a cheaper bass to use for a month or so and as a backup for the Ric.

I've always really admired Pino's tone and figured I oughta try out a P bass. I went on eBay and bought a beautiful sonic blue Squier Classic Vibe 60's P. It played great and sounded great. I got my Ric back and sold the Squier like an idiot because I was being a brand snob even though it sounded great.

Fast forward to last year. I had the chance to pick up an early 80's MIJ P for a great price. I used it on a couple of gigs and it never sounded great. It was either too boomy or thin sounding. I could never get comfortable with it. I sold it shortly afterwards.

Fast forward yet again to last month. I so desperately want to love P basses like the cool kids. The bass gods, along with the the holy spirit of James Jamerson came to me in a dream and told me "Check your local Craigslist listings, young padawan."
    Low and behold there's a natural, maple-necked 75 P for a great price (~$700). I grabbed some cash and picked it up.
    It needed some TLC and the pickup needed rewinding so I cleaned it up, sent the pickup out, bought an Aguilar 4P-60, and threw on some Dunlop Nickel SB's.

Fast forward (this is the last time traveling event in this post...I promise) to last night.
    First gig with the monster.
    IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW. The bass sounded decent by itself, but in the mix it was very fat and full and had a deliciously thick low end similar to my Ric, but a little barkier. And when I dug in or got funky with some 16th note lines, oh lawdy! The band dug it too.

Fast forward (for real last one) to the future. Did it replace my main squeeze? No. But it sounds great, plays great, and I'm happy to have it in the stable. I join in all the fun P bass threads on Talkbass and we all live happily ever after. Amen.

I know, I know. No pics, no bass. Well there is indeed a bass so here are some pics.
    It's hard to tell from the terrible pics, but there's a decent amount of rad finish checking going on.

IMG_1387.JPG IMG_1388.JPG IMG_1390.JPG

2. PWRL

PWRL

Sep 15, 2006
    Yonder
    Great bass, excellent tale.

3. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Still trying to decide if I want to switch it to the period correct black pick guard or not.

4. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    P basses are simple, stupid, and boring...until you trip over the right one. Then suddenly....they're not.

covermego, LUCE and aaronious like this.
  5. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    That's exactly right!

6. DJ '65

DJ '65

Oct 16, 2015
    That looks well loved and awesome, merry Christmas to you.

7. As someone who spent 16 years on a Ric 4003 before switching, to a 2014 Am.Std Precision you Sir have bought yourself a beautiful bass. Hope you have many happy years with it :thumbsup::cool:.

8. alack

alack

Nov 20, 2000
    Florida
    That's beautiful. You now have the only bass you'll ever need. Congrats!

9. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Thanks man, I appreciate it! The Fender and Ric combo can cover a lot of basses. (pun intended)

10. oldcatfish

oldcatfish

Jan 8, 2011
    Now you just need a jazz bass. And a Stingray. And....

andonbray likes this.
  11. waynobass

waynobass

Feb 27, 2008
    Texas
    Neh, leave it alone. Looks great!

12. Oddly

Oddly Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2014
    Dublin, Ireland.
    Great looking bass...especially the neck.
    I'd keep the white guard...it looks absolutely right to me.

covermego likes this.
  13. jhb138

jhb138

Sep 14, 2016
    If it were mine, I think I'd change it. Not sure to what, tho. But the white ain't doing for me.

My 79 natural/maple P (see avatar) came to me with a snazzy red tort guard, but I doubt it's original.

14. Congratulations young Jedi.... Chosen well you have.

15. A nice tort pickguard will look great! Good luck. :thumbsup:

16. Killer.

I can feel the mojo from here.

With maple boards, I'm a fan of a lighter guard like parchment and mint. I love the look as-is.

covermego likes this.
  17. No don't ... I've got one like that but I'm seriously thinking to switch to white or cream ... the bass as is with its aged ash looks fantastic ..

covermego likes this.
  18. covermego

covermego Still here....... Supporting Member

Sep 5, 2010
    Redding, CA
    I'm a tort man myself, but this just has something going on with the white contrast. If anything, cream or mint. If there is no rout from the pickup rout to the control cavity, then a transparent smoke one would be beautimous. Oops, better wipe the drool so it doesn't zap my keyboard........

19. 9Thumbs

9Thumbs

Jul 3, 2013
    Yup, sometimes tortoise shell just won't work. I believe this is one of those times. Black would work if the fretboard was rosewood. Love the checking too

20. ric4682

Jul 2, 2008
    Well I DO need a stingray, but I think I have the Jazz thing covered. ;)

IMG_1212.JPG

The more I look at the P, the more I think you guys are right. I think white looks the best for the guard.