Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NY Metro Giggers...Smoke or No Smoke?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jontom, Oct 15, 2003.

1. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I play twice a weekend in the NY Metro area(www.ptmeatbox.com)and am a non-smoker(o.k.-I'll have a Marlboro Light outside after the gig w/my drummer...its part of my post gig ritual). Recently, the state has put into effect a smoking ban where bars cannot have smoking inside their establishment, which means smokers generally congregate out front during set breaks(en masse!). My take is that I enjoy playing a full night, singing backups without going hoarse, breathing freely, and then going home without my clothes smelling like a smokestack. But I also feel for the club owners who have been seeing a decline in patronage due to the ruling. What do you think?:meh:

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Helena MT also tried a ban. Heart attacks in that city dropped 58% (!!!) in only 6 months. Under pressure from club owners and the tobacco lobby, the state repealed the ban and heart attacks returned to their previous level. An 8 hour shift in a smoky bar is equivalent to smoking 1 pack of cigarettes. Smokers can smoke in private if they want, in public they are literally killing their fellow patrons.

3. I love the smoking ban.

One bartender I know says there's a slight drop in business, another says business is the same, but people are going outside to smoke.

I can't prove it, but I don't think people who smoke AND drink would stop going to bars altogether. :confused:

Just the other day I saw a pro-smoking ban poster that read: When smoking was banned in office buildings, did people stop working? ;)

It's nice to go out, have a few drinks, and NOT smell of smoke.

YAY!:hyper:

Mike

4. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I don't smoke.

I think it is the worst law in effect!!!!

5. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Smoking in bars has been banned in California since '99 and it's working out fine. To my knowledge, no bars have closed. Smokers go outside if they need to feed the beast. I don't see why they should be allowed to inflict their deadly choice on others.

I did have a recent experience in a smoky bar in Wisconsin. That smoke smell clung to everything I was wearing for the rest of the night. Even the inside of my case smelled like smoke. I don't think I'd enjoy gigging as much if I had to put up with that all the time.

6. Davehenning

Davehenning

Aug 9, 2001
    Los Angeles
    There is one little difference between the west coast/ east coast ban. Out west, you can go outside for a smoke all year round. The weather is resonably tolerable all year. In NY, Boston, Philly etc, the winters can be brutal. I think that we are going to have to wait until winter to see if the ban lasts here in NY. I believe there is a repeal that says if the business owners can prove a substantial loss, the ban can be lifted.

Personally, I smoke and I like the ban. Hopefully in the long-run it will have a good impact.

7. the generally lame economy is probably more to blame for that. still, i can't understand why there are no people in the clubs these days, no scene. [refer to my 'good, bad, ugly' gig post for further ranting].

i am a non-smoking, semi-asthmatic, highly allergic type, and was still against the ban [for "constutional reasons" :D ] for the longest time. it just seemed like a bar was the last bastion of 'letting it all hang outdom', where people could relax, and have a drink & a smoke. i always used to just bite the bullet & accept that i would suffer for a few hours.

lately, though, i'm loving it. to be able to walk out of a pub without layers of smoke & soot adhering to your tresses is a lovely thing. i don't have to air-out my clothes when i get home, don't spend the nite itchy & coughy. it adds to my playing stamina immeasurably.

still, i tend to think there must be a way to please all parties. i always thought giving rebates and/or tax credits to establishments that installed hospital-quality hepa filters/air purifiers would be the better bet. they have new systems that don't require filter change, that could prove to be very cost-effective. then people could smoke & breathe.

restrictedairspace2ya-
    meeks

8. chris4001asat

chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    They just passed a law in Toledo too. All the bars, bowling alleys, restaurants are fighting it. It's looking like it'll get repealed. My band has it's first gig in a month, hopefully I'll still be able to play in a smoke free atmosphere......

9. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    They have banned smoking in restaurants here in FL, and I wish they would extend it to the clubs.

I love gigging, nothing makes me happier than getting a room full of happy (er...drunk! ;) ) people up and shakin' their thing - but when I get home at the end of a night smelling like an explosion at a cigarette factory and my eyes the color of tomatos...takes a bit of the good vibe away from me. Not to mention the damage to my lungs.

The heck with their constitutional right to kill themselves, what about MY constitutional right to breathe healthy air when I'm working? :meh: Take it outside. Maybe cutting down on your trips because of the cold weather will extend your life a few months in the long run, or better yet, you'll figure out you don't NEED the demon weed and quit, making both your life and mine a better one (hey, I pay health insurance premiums, and YOUR habit inpinges on my monthly bill if you smoke. Fact.)

10. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    call me selfish:

i'm a smoker, trying to quit. everytime i play a bar date, i end up smoking a lot (when i do weddings, i don't smoke that much).

i support the bans, but also support the legalization of pot (i don't smoke pot, though) :eek: :D ;)

11. true, true. however, i always wondered -- if we just relegate everyone to the outdoors to smoke, aren't we just expanding that hole in the ozone layer again, after we supposedly decreased its mass a year or so ago?

:confused: :eek: :rolleyes:

12. Craig Garfinkel

Craig Garfinkel

Aug 25, 2000
    Hartford, CT
    Endorsing Artist: Sadowsky Guitars
    I could get into a long post riddled with the phrase "on the other hand"...

But generally, as a non-smoker I will dig it when the smoking ban in CT goes into effect for all clubs by next April. I'm with Gard on the stanky clothes, etc.

But here's a somewhat interesting observation about the smoking ban in NYC. Now that people can't smoke inside bars, where anyone can avoid the situation by not going inside, they now are crowding the streets in front of the bars, where they cannot be avoided, and you're constantly breathing in their smoke as you walk by.

:confused:

13. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    After I gig, I sweat & my clothes go in the laundry, anyway. Washing machines are good!!!!!

I plaed a gig a few weeks ago. We had a pretty nice draw. Our set is over & we have to unload our stuff. We get outside & there are between 50 & 75 people, mostly smoking, that was there to see the next band.

If they were allowed to smoke in the bar, they might of seen us & dug us & we could of gotten some of them on out mailing list. But NO, the smokers were outside & all their friends were with them waiting for the next band.

Bull****!!!!!!

14. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Nino, if it were just my clothes and my hair, it wouldn't be such a bitch. Clothes wash, so does hair - and I generally take a quick shower when I get home anyhow. However, the nasty stuff gets into EVERYTHING - my amp, the carpet covering my cabinets, my gigbag, the strap on my bass, in the nooks & crannies on the bass itself...it all STINKS! :p I have to douse my rig and the interior of my car with Lysol every weekend.

Not to mention it gets into my LUNGS - which bothers me more than anything else. I don't want to tell anyone what to put in their body (I agree with NLJ about pot, I don't smoke it, never have, never will, but I believe that is it stupid as can be to tell someone it's OK to buy a 6-pack of beer but NOT to smoke a joint! :rolleyes: ), but isn't being essentially forced to breathe in someone else's nasty fumes because of where you work (I make a sizeable amount of my living playing club dates! :meh: ) a bit of an infringement on my rights?

Stepping outside for a couple minutes to feed your demon is not that much of an inconvinence, really, is it? :confused:

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    believe it or not, when i do club dates, i prefer to go smoke outside! :D i really don't like second-hand smoke and i want the fresh air (i know, i'm a hypocrite). I try my best to put myself in others shoes the best that i can. i don't even smoke in the house, i go outside.

if i only would of thought about this nasty ass habit a long time ago, i wouldn't be paying for it the way i do.

nino, i do feel for your issue as well. i'm going to NYC next week, i would like to see first hand how people stand outside of clubs. san antonio is rethinking a ban to include clubs, pool halls and bingo halls. i'm just curious how san antonio would react.

EDIT - man i need to slow down on my typing!!!!

16. Thor

Thor Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

I rest my case ...

:eek:
    :p

17. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Preach it, brother!

In that case, some kind of warm attire may be in order.

All the more reason to quit, IMO.

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    LOL

:D

:smug:

19. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA

20. Nino Valenti

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Living in NYC my whole life, fresh air=nasty fumes. It's just life for me.

But alot of people I know like to have a smoke with a drink. You can't go outside with the drink cause you'll get a ticket & you can't csmoke inside cause, well, you'll get a ticket, too.