Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NY/NJ/Philadelphia area TBers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by embellisher, Jul 1, 2005.

1. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

I am going to be in New Jersey on business next weekend, July 8-10.

I am flying into LaGuardia Friday afternoon, and hope to stop by the Sadowsky shop before they close.

What else would you guys recommend that I do in New York city? And is there a good sushi place near the Sadowsky shop?

Any of you New York guys have a gig Friday or Saturday night?

I am also planning to go and see a friend in Philadelphia Sunday morning. Is there anything I should see or do while I am there?

2. embellisher

Nobody? Mike Jewels, Major Metal, Nino, Joe Nerve, etc?

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Hey Jeff, ring me up. I'm an hour away from Manhattan by train in Madison, NJ. 40 minutes from Nino, maybe we can get a little G2G in your honor?

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    If you hook up with Mike, let him show you Monte's!

5. embellisher

Yeah, I was kind of hoping for a mini GTG. It would be cool to meet some of you guys.

PM me your number.

6. WillBuckingham

WillBuckingham

Mar 30, 2005
  7. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    If you are going to be near the Jersey shore at all, I've got a gig on 7/9 at www.buckalews.com -- 101 Bay Ave, Beach Haven (LBI), NJ 609-492-1065

It's a nice place w/ good food and a fun crowd. We play rock and pop covers -- www.SirSquid.com

Have a fun visit!

8. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jeff

It looks like friday is a good day to meet up, the sadowsky shop sounds like a great idea then we could show you some good NY eating. :)

9. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    Hey - wuz away for the weekend so I just just saw this. I'm playing both Friday and Saturday. Friday is a gig at some place we never played in the Bronx (no idea what to expect so I ain't gonna recommend coming), but Saturday we're playing one of our favorite places. No admission, really cool people - it's a cover gig but they like us playing lots of our own stuff and it's real laid back, you can play a few tunes if you like, and it's right by the train/and or easy to park by. If you or anyone else are interested here's the info:

Saturday, July 9
    Maguire's
    54-20 Roosevelt Ave.
    Woodside, Queens, NY
    10:30pm - 2am
    No Admission
    Ohh yeah - and there's a great mexican pizzaria right next door. :)

10. embellisher

What time does your band go on Saturday, Joe? That may be a possibility.

I am busy most of the day Saturday, but after I am done, I can go to the hotel, clean up, and then head to NY. I will be staying in Somerset, NJ, which according to Mapquest is about 45 minutes away.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    YO! Mapquest is usually pretty accurate. We're scheduled to go on 10:30 but usually don't play till around 11. We do 3 40-45 minute sets and end somewhere around 2. If you're going to go perhaps i'll give our boy NINO a yell and he can come out too - maybe even bring his band (and a Valenti bass :) ) and they can do a couple of songs. NINO, where are you??? Anyone else who wants to come and bring their band to do a song or 2 by all means please do so.

12. Thisperson

Thisperson

Aug 19, 2004
    Gotta get a cheese steak here in Philly.

13. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    just do not go to gino's or pats...

14. embellisher

Why not?

15. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    Those are the places that the tourists go... BUT, they are far from he best steaks in town... when are you going to be here ?

16. embellisher

Probably some time Sunday.