Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

NY. police state.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Joe Nerve, Jun 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    went for a run today down to the beach i recently moved near. noticed HUNDREDS of cops there. all over the beach, lining the streets outside, surrounding all the entrances. i thought our lady hillary might be paying a visit so i asked one of them why there were so many cops there. his one word response was "terrorism". i asked if they'd be there every day and his response was, "at least twice a week." i wanted to tell him "i sure hope that if terrorists come here they come on the day you guys are here." i also wanted to respond to "terrorism" with, "well, you've succeeded, i no longer feel safe here."

that's not all. wasn't going to write about just that. about 5 minutes ago i was witness to an incident i'm still shaking from. saw a kid running, and a cop on a 4 wheel motorcycle(forget what you call them - roadrunners?). the cop chased the kid into the middle of the street and deliberitely hit the kid. sent him flying in front of another car that just missed running him over. i HAD TO SEE that the kid was alright. He was and i caught their conversation as the cop was handcuffing him. KID: "What'd I do?" COP: "you ran from me. why'd you run?". KID: "cause you grabbed me, man!". from what it looked to me, if the kid did anything i doubt it was more than shoplifting, being mischievous, or smoking pot. i could be wrong - but he didn't look particuarly evil. he almost lost his life.

i'm beginning to get really embarrased for our state AND our country. we are giving up so much of our freedom and our rights and either nobody is seeing it, or nobody cares.

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i've felt that way for a long time now... so i totally agree

3. BigBohn

BigBohn

Sep 29, 2001
    WPB, Florida
    Thats pure abuse of power for ya. The smell wakes me up in the morning.

:rolleyes:

4. yeah. if only this kinda stuff didn't happen every single day.

this could definitely turn into a political thread, though. so let's all watch what we say.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Yeah! no one disagree with anyone else and we'll be fine.
    :p

6. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    yes, everyone agree with me:D

7. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Send an account of what you wrote here to the mayor or governors office.

How about both? And the local police HQ and your representatives in Congress.

Sad thing is that might not even make a difference. Sad what some are willing to give in the name of piece of mind.

On that note an appropriate cartoon. If any of the mods feel its a little much, just take it out, or ask me to and I will be happy to oblige.

[​IMG]

Peace
    Nick

8. This is probably gonna get closed due to political issues being discussed...

But I agree,sometimes,on COPS(American TV show) they do some brutal things to people,that are not resisting at all...

I dunno...

We all have our opinions I guess.

Peace and Plaid Joe:)

-Jon:oops:

9. LOL, thats a great show osama... "were you smoking dope?" "uh..no" "then whats this bag of marijuana doing in your pocket?" "its not mine?" "were going to have to arrest you now" "but i didnt do nothing officer!" "what you mean, you have a bag of marijuana in your pocket" (meanwhile the person is stoned as hell) man that is one funny show...

10. it seems like no one ever know to cooperate with the police. if a cop says "are you smokin' marijuana?" he's obviously got you. just say yes, give up your bag and piece, and be on your way. if you don't give him crap, you'll be fine.

11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses, Hipshot products
    we all still seem to be agreeing :eek: .

forgot to mention the fact that our fine mayor is having those cops give EVERYBODY tickets for EVERYTHING imaginable from sitting on milkcrates, to spitting, to $250 if they think you're a little too close to a hydrant... uhh, cause we desperately need to raise money. raise money to put hundreds of cops on the beaches to "protect" us?????????

WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY DO!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    WHAT ARE THEY THINKING???!!!!!?????
    WHAT COULD THEY POSSIBLY STOP!!!!!!!!!!

are they going to look inside every single cooler and bag that gets taken onto the beach. or only the ones being carried by people who look like they're from the middle east? forget that - if anyone wants to do anything, wouldn't they simply do on a day the cops weren't there. doh! wasting money and putting people into fear mode is the ALL they're doing. oh yeah, and keeping us all in line. didn't this once happen somewhere else in our history books???

12. haha, that is so true man...specially once they search you and found out you lied to them, your screwed ;)

13. maybe they fear that some little piss ass fish who cant do nothing is going to jump out of the water, land on someone and somehow kill them by flopping around on them and they need cops there to shoot the fish as they supposedly fly out of the water at someone! ~ Tyler

14. exactly.. better to tell the truth first; 'cause they're gonna find out eventually.
    honesty is the best policy.:)

15. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    I'll disagree.

Basically, the cops don't have to abuse your rights. you're doing it for them.

"have you been smoking dope."

you don't have to answer that, its none of his business. just laugh, and say "what?"

and that searching business? are you just consenting to a search? are you just letting the state search your person anytime it feels like it?he can pat you down outside of the car in the name of his safety, and if you're bright you've either got nothing, or the bag's in your crotch or in your shoe. but beyond that, unless you're under arrest you don't have to consent to a search (outside of his/her having reasonable suspicion of you being a terrorist, sorry my friends from out east.) if you are searched your civil liberties have been violated, namely your right to be free from unreasonable search and seizure of your person and property.

they usually ask to search your car if you look at all capable of a crime (i.e. 90 year old women are out.) all cops wanna find the body in the trunk, but they'll be happy w/ a pot bust, or to catch you driving barefoot as well (i've gotten a ticket for this); looks better to the capt. than just a speeding ticket. just say no. when they ask why, the standard is "if you're not doing anything wrong, you shouldn't mind, and it'll just take a second" parrot the line "my law professor says its a violation of my rights." this only works if you don't look weird, you guys w/ mullets are out.

if they're really excited, they can call for a k-9 unit to come sniff at your car; if you're guilty when he shows up, your dead, but if you're not, you have the rare pleasure of seeing cops miffed. but that's a pain in the rear, and most cops won't do that when you do this; something about being confident throws them off.

don't fall for that, or the "i already know what you've done, so you're better off telling me now." that's not true either, and if it is you're still better off being quiet until you get a lawyer. always. don't trust 'em.

and that's my longest post ever.

16. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Forgive me for playing devil's advocate here, but hasn't NYC's crime rate dropped significantly year-over-year for the last 8 year or so - beyond that of the national average even - after decades of crime spiralling out of control? I believe Giuliani, the Commissioner of Police and COMPSTAT had a lot to do with that - even NYPD is less corrupt and more accountable than it once was

Somehow, I'd feel safer with lots of cops around. As long as you're not doing anything wrong, they won't mess with you - there's too many real dirtbags in the world to worry about.

DD

17. driving barefoot is a crime...? what the hell has this country come to! and how the hell can they see your feet when YOUR DRIVING?!?!!

18. True, but then once they bust all the criminals they will get restless are start arresting innocent people for stuff they didnt do...and who is the court gonna listen to, you or the cop? thats right...THE COP!

19. pigpen- i defintely agree with you; i shoulda realized all that.
    also, my perspective is that of a 16-year-old kid. plenty of the local cops are more than eager to bust me and my peers, and don't mind bending the law to do so (taking advantage of the fact that a lot of kids don't know their own rights). so in some cases, if you know you're busted, it's best to get it over with fast and up front.
    but for the most part, you're totally right.
    :)

20. pigpen02

pigpen02

Mar 24, 2002
    to poorly paraphrase honest abe: the true test of character is not that a (wo)man triumphs over adversity, but that (s)he be granted power and asked to use it justly.

while i think most law enforcement officers go into the field for the right reasons, and believe that what they do is right, they are not always of sufficient character to respect the rights granted the citizens of our country.

criminals, too, are lacking in character. and so are we, for the most part. but knowledge of our rights, and just as importantly i think, our responsibilities, can round out the equation a bit.

like my previous rant suggested, i think a great many abuses of power here are abbetted by our ignorance of our rights.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.