NY Sadowsky P/J - USA Lakland P/J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 57pbass, Nov 11, 2005.

1. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

Anybody have any experience or have the chance to A/B these two great instruments?

Any info appreciated...Thanks
  2. BigMikeW

BigMikeW Banned

May 25, 2005
    Nashville, TN.
    Banned by TB Administration for refusal to account for funds
    Lakland makes a P/J? I know they make a P but I don't thik they make a P/J.

I have two Sdowsky PJ5's and I wouldn't play anything else personally. I feel the tone and build quality is far superior on the Sadowsky's. IMO.
  3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I don't own a Sadowsky, but I've played a few, and I've not noticed that their build quality is any better than the Laklands I've played. Both instruments are built to the highest standards, and even the relatively inexpensive 55-01 that I own is flawlessly constructed. The tone, however, is a subjective quality, and the Sadowskys have that in spades.

FWIW, I don't know of any Lakland P/J configuration either.
  4. kjones

kjones Supporting Member

Dec 4, 2004
    I've seen a PJ done on a Glaub. Of course, that had the wider P type neck, although I assume either builder will do it any way you want it.

The big difference is the pickups (I owned a Glaub and currently have a Sad PJ, so I have some experience with this). I'm always uncomfortable using words to describe tone, but the Fralins on the Glaub are like powerfully good and strong Fender pickups. To me, although they definitely in the Fender vein, they have a different and more aggressive personality.

Build quality is superior for both instruments.

So clearly, we're going along a continuum, but a Lakland PJ on a Glaub is going to be more vintage Fenderish than the Sadowsky.
  5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Ah, well done, my good man, I'd not considered their signature line. Shame on me, given my GAS for a Dark Star-loaded Glaub these days...
  6. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

Both great makers. Get off your butt and play some. LOL Make up your own mind. We all have and thats why we have opinions. Play some gear and form your own. Good luck

7. Greetings,

I have a really nice Lakland Skyline Bob Glaub, it's the sh*t.

An absolutely perfectly straight neck and fret work, low action, Lindy Fralins PU, black body, white gaurd, maple board, great finish.

Sounds the way P bass should with the low mids to cut right through..

It's as nice as any I ever played for 2-3 times the price, check-em out. Lakland does all the frets and set-up in the US the rest is made in Korea.

It's passive but I would like to put a pre-amp in it, I'm seriously thinking about which one will be right maybe a Sadowsky?
  8. Pennydreadful

Pennydreadful Goin out West

Jun 13, 2005
    Arlington, Texas
    The trouble is, for a lot of players (read: me), that these builders/models just aren't available to try locally. 57pbass is in NY, I see, so he could probably make it someplace to try em out, but here in Texas? Nothin. We have Guitar Center, Brook Mays, that kind of thing, and we all know they don't stock Lakland or Sad.

That's why feedback from folks like you, with your army of Sads ( ;) ) is important, cause a lot of us just cannot try before we buy.
  9. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY

I agree, Penny. The guy who started the thread, though, lives in NYC. He has all the great builders and stores around him.