1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NY TBer's: Who wants to do a NY style belchfest?

Discussion in 'Amps, Mics & Pickups [DB]' started by musicman5string, May 10, 2006.

1. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Yo-
    Upon seeing the exciting results of the Ohio crew in their pickup/amp/cab/belchfest extravaganza, maybe we could have one of our own NY style.
    There's a great rehearsal studio called Euphoria on W.27th
    http://www.euphorianyc.com/studios.html
    I'd be willing to set this up; depending on how many want to attend, we could shoot for a 2 hour or 3 hour session.
    The goal would be to check out as many different pickup/mic/amp combinations as possible, so everyone's gotta bring what they got.
    I can bring:
    My German carved bass circa 1900.
    An Underwood.
    A Realist.
    A GKMB150E.

Anyone interested?

2. appler

appler Guest

I'm interested. When is this event going to take place? If I can make it, I'll bring my Acoustic Image Clarus and possibly a Schroeder Mini 12. Another item of interest on TalkBass is the Upton bow; I can bring that too. Keep us posted.

3. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    We can have it whenever a general concensus is reached on the best time to do it; I would say let's shoot for after Labor Day, maybe a Sunday afternoon?

4. appler

appler Guest

Do you mean Memorial Day or are you planning very, very early?

5. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    Hmmm... sounds cool. BG

6. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006

Oops.
    Yeah, Memeorial Day.
    Dig.

7. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    I see both you gentlemen are from NJ; perhaps we should have a NJ belchfest instead of NY....

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    I'd be innersted in a hang, especially since Ray's BassDay ain't happening.

9. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Cool; that's 4 so far including myself.

Who else?:bassist:

10. Tbeers

Tbeers

Mar 27, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    I might be in. Depends on date. Here's my stuff:

- Schnitzer & DeSola DB with Dominant strings and Full Circle pickup
    - Valenti 4-string jazz bass
    - Walter Woods MI-100, also Ultra Hi-Power
    - LDS 2x8 3-way cabinet

11. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You guys should definitely do a hang - the Ohio one was way fun, but I had to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to it. You folks have got to be closer than that. No excuses!

12. appler

appler Guest

Since you already have a place in mind, why don't we have it in the city? Just let us know a couple of potential dates and we'll see who can make it. This sounds like a great time.

Edit: Sunday afternoons are usually good for most people around here.

13. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Yeah, let's say maybe early June on a Sunday from 1-3pm or 1-4pm at Euphoria. If anyone has any blackout dates on Sundays in June, let us know.
    Also, would you guys be willing to split the cost of the room? The small room is $32 an hour, so it'll either be $64 or $96. The more people we get, probably we should do a 3 hr. hang. Either way, I'm thinking it wouldn't be more than $15 a person.
    I think the small room has an Aguilar and Epifani in it.

14. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    btw, do you guys want to do electric bass also? We could, depending on how many of us there are, but if there's more than 5 I say we stick with DB, just so everyone has a chance to play the different combinations.....
    or not; we can cross check slabs too; I can bring a EBMM5 and a FenderJazz75.

15. appler

appler Guest

I can't do the first Sunday in June but I'm free the following Sundays. My bass guitar is a Fender Roscoe Beck five string. I can't bring both basses, amp, and speaker, though. I might skip the plank only because it's not often that I get to bring my upright along to try amps out with. I can bring my bass guitar into a guitar shop anytime I want. That studio looks really hip, man. I'm psyched.

16. bribass

bribass

Jan 25, 2006
    Northern NJ
    Endorsing Artist; Arnold Schnitzer/ Wil DeSola New Standard RN DB
    It is a great studio, I've been there, but in Jersey there's easier parking for all. In NYC it would have to be on a Sunday OR after 7PM other days for free parking, but no garantees on good spots.

I'd shy away from Sundays 'cause of potential gigs and family hang time. (I'm the father of 3)

17. musicman5string

musicman5string Banned

Jan 17, 2006
    Hey Bri-
    I'd actually prefer to do it in NJ; it's just that I don't know of any decent studios here- they're all real loud rock dives.

If not a Sunday, then a Saturday afternoon would be ok with me. Pretty much any weeknight is out.

18. appler

appler Guest

I could probably swing a Saturday afternoon provided it isn't the first one of the month. I don't really plan to drive to the city anyway so no worries about parking for me.

19. brooklynbassguy

brooklynbassguy Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2004
    maplewood, nj, usa
    I'm interested as well. Either nyc or nj. I could probally do the first or second sunday of june. I have some cables to bring to the mix...:eyebrow:

20. appler

appler Guest

I'm dying to hear the Bag End S12 and that Euphonic Audio VL108. Any chance of bringing either of those, brooklynbassguy?