NY Times Editorial

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Dr. Cheese, Oct 26, 2011.

1. Meatrus

Meatrus

Apr 5, 2009
    England
    I think they are blowing it out of proportion a bit, the part below doesn't make much sense to me.

While manufacturers have increasingly turned to sustainable alternatives to guitar makers’ traditional tonewoods, this option is largely unavailable to artisans who build a small number of instruments each year....Why?

It has been like that over here for years. There are plenty of woods which we don't use much over here (Brazilian Kingwood, Rosewood and Honduran Mahogany to name three) as the importation of them has been banned for decades. Any that is used was imported before the ban, so there isn't much about. However I believe what is left is legal to own as long as proof can be shown its dates from then. The sale of Ivory however is completely banned. The above really doesn't seem to have got in the way of UK Luthiers considering how many successful ones there are.

2. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Bruni may have received a Gibson Hummingbird from the president but, the Hummingbird is a spruce & mahogany guitar. No rosewood in that model.

3. SolidFooting

SolidFooting

Jun 6, 2011
    Honestly, the fact that this is getting so much mainstream attention may help us in the long run. They're even talking about ways to make the use of old ivory legal, for crying out loud.

4. Musiclogic

Musiclogic Commercial User

Aug 6, 2005
    Southwest Michigan
    Owner/Builder: HJC Customs USA, The Cool Lute, C G O
    Those of us who have brazillian rosewood "anything" know the problems that could arise because of the use of this wood. This op-ed points out the basis of the problem, but neglects to point out how the amendment to the Lacey act came about, or the reasoning as to why only Gibson was raided on both ocassions, and not Fender or G&L. Or any other parts manufacturer in the US. We as lutiers have adapted to material endangerment before, and we will continue. Many builders Like Matt Schmill(FBB custom) are leaning towards using all domestic woods in his builds and sustainable lumbers. This is something we can all try to exercise if they continue to put restraints on what we can and can't use. I believe what has gone on with Gibson is by Agenda, and not just coincidental, and will effect the industry in a negative way sooner than later. I also hate the bias of the op-ed.

I do want to thank Dr. Cheese for posting this, everyone here should thank him for this, and take the time to read the whole editorial.

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021