1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NY winter 2007/08 = neck problems

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by estringnyc, Mar 6, 2008.

1. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    The fret ends on my JO Skyline started sticking my fingers when I run them up the side of the neck. Per another's TB'ers advice, I contacted Lakland (who responded on email quickly) and they said the dry winter weather has been harsh on necks. Sure enough, just dropped if off at Rudy's (Pensa) to get fixed and they are swamped with guitars and basses needing similar fixes and adjustments (two weeks to get it back).
    Thought I would share that with others who make have noticed that their necks are out of whack.
    Guess the Fenders aren't reacting as much since the wood is coated and sealed much heavier.

2. tkozal

tkozal

Feb 16, 2006
    New York City
    tip: 30th st. I had this done last year on a bass where the frets sprouted.
    $15, done while I was at a 2 hour rehearsal, and I picked it up on the way home.

I have had to tweak the truss rods of my newer basses this winter, it has been a bitch.

3. contakt321

contakt321

Jul 31, 2006
    New York, NY
    My Ric's neck was really affected, got some great work done at 30th Street. Had to do some severe truss rod adjusting.

4. jlepre

jlepre

Nov 12, 2007
    Parsippany, NJ
    FWIW I always keep my basses in their cases when not in use, and that seems to keep the dryness away from the necks.:)

5. Geezerman

Geezerman

Nov 28, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    You new york guys sure are girly when it comes to cold weather, you need to come down to chitown! :smug:

6. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    Problem is, it's not cold!
    I had some work done at 30th St. Really nice guys but I wasn't thrilled with their work. Had similar work done at Rudy's to a similar bass and the repair and setup was A+.

7. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    +1 No problems with my basses.

8. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

I think alot has to do with very little finish on the Lakland necks, but I could be wrong. Ive also noticed this with the couple EB's Ive had in upstate NY. My Sadowsky's have had to fret end issues. They have a nitro finish.

Rob

9. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    I get that every winter on my 7 .... not really terrible, but a little bit of sprouting. But once I get to spring the wood must expand just enough to have the problem go away. I even get the same thing happening on my lined fretless 6 with the inserts, and each spring it's back to normal ..... :)

10. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    No, bikeplate, from what I've learned today, you are perfectly right. The type of finish on the neck is going to determine how much the climate will effect the wood. Anyhow, I'm homegrown and never had this problem with any of my necks before, then again, it's never been this mild.
    Hey, pointbass, Point Pleasant? No shortage of humidity down there.

11. Ed Goode

Ed Goode Jersey to Georgia Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
    True, but my wife keeps the house drier than a toaster oven .... :help:

12. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks Supporting Member

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    I live about 15mins outside the city and luckily havent had any problems with my basses, even on my unfinished stingray neck. I just make sure my basses are left in a room where the temp is pretty steady.

13. estringnyc

estringnyc

Jun 21, 2007
    New York City
    LOL You obviously don't have a typical NY apartment where the heat is on ALL the time (when the boiler is actually working) and the only way to control the temp. is to open the windows. And for this, we pay a premium to live here?

14. And so far in my experience it is happening to my rosewood fretboarded 55-02D but not to my maple 55-02. On my bass it is only sprouting on the upper registers, so I might just wait till spring and if it still is bugging me I'll take it in. I don't really trust the guys around here much, but I might have to.

15. Supertanker

Supertanker Watch the dog! He is trained to bite!

Jun 23, 2005
    CinCinNati
    I just order these from Stew-Mac for my 5502:

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1603[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3-Corner Fret Dressing File - Large, 9"[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$26.95 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$26.95[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1175[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Fret End Dressing File[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$12.36 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$12.36[/FONT]
    [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3711[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Micro-Mesh Soft Touch Finishing Pads[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$9.89 [/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]$9.89[/FONT]

Here's some instructions from Stew-Mac:

Taming unruly fret ends is quick and easy
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    When the humidity gets too low, a room humidifier is a great idea. You can get one in a discount store for under $40.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG][​IMG] ts0013b.
    [​IMG]Yep, dry weather does strange things to guitars. Their wood contracts, so they crack and warp. They even shrink: when the fingerboard dries out, it shrinks back so the metal fret ends stick out. Sometimes they’re sharp enough to tear up your hands.
    [​IMG] ts0013c.
    [​IMG][​IMG]Protect the bodyWith bolt-on necks, it’s a good idea to take the neck off before filing. That way, you can’t slip and nick the body with your file. If the neck’s staying on, protect the body by masking it with index cards and low-tack tape.
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG] ts0013d.
    [​IMG]File the frets backCarefully file the fret ends so they’re flush with the fingerboard edge. I use my large three-corner file (also called a cant saw file). Be careful to file the metal only, stopping just as the file comes in contact with the finish. A fret leveling file is also good for this job; I just happen to prefer the finer cut of the three-corner file.
    [​IMG]
    Use a file cleaning brush frequently, to get rid of gritty filings that could scratch the fret ends or finish. ts0013e.
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    Round the endsA light touch with a fret end dressing file removes any remaining sharp edges, leaving smooth and rounded fret ends that won’t slice your fingers.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ts0013f.
    [​IMG]Last step: polish to shineIf you want to show off, buff the fret ends with micro-mesh pads! You can get a mirror finish with these. Minor file scratches on the fingerboard will disappear, too.
    [​IMG]
    You’re ready to start playing again — as soon as your cuts heal from those fret ends!
    [​IMG]
    ericksigWHITE.

16. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Yes, my Fodera and Sterling were in bad shape about two-three months ago. I took the humidifier (Dampit) out of my acoustic guitar case and threw it in the case first with the Fodera, closed it and let it sit three days. When I opened it up, no sharp fret ends and the neck wasn't bowed at all. I then did it with the Sterling and the same thing - frets no longer sticking out. Since this winter here in New York has been COLD, I need to keep each bass in its case with a humidifier when I''m not playing it. In the spring, they can hang out on their respective stands for all to admire....