1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

NYC and Washington tourism advice needed!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Happynoj, Dec 21, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Happynoj

Happynoj

Dec 5, 2006
    UK
    I like turtles.
    I am going to the good ol' US of A in January (pre-Trump) with my gf, and was hoping for some tourism advice. We will be in New York for 4 days, and Washington for 2 days. We have a few things that we definitely want to do (MOMA, Intrepid Museum, 9/11 Memorial, National Air and Space Museum) but would welcome advice on what else is worth doing and what's not.

We would like to go to the top of a tall building - we were thinking either the World Trade Centre or the Empire State Building. Any advice on which will be better? Or is there another option we haven't considered?

We like Art Deco and Art Nouveau architechture. Obviously there are a whole bunch of building exteriors we can see, but are there any stunning interiors we should seek out? I hear that the Radio City Music Hall is good, but I'm unsure whether you can get in without shelling out $40 each for the official tour.

Any unmissable museums or galleries?

Any tips for getting super cheap tickets to sports matches? We are staying just across from Madison Square Gardens and I looked at tickets to the basketball and ice hockey games that are one while we are in NY, but the seats were $150 each, which is probably about $120 more than I want to pay to watch a sport that I don't actually follow.

Where should we go for jazz music and cocktails?

Which deli should we go to and what sandwhich should I order?

Where is the best pizza?

Where is the best cheesecake?

Most importantly, where is the best bass shop?

catcauphonic likes this.
  2. Gorn

Gorn

Dec 15, 2011
    Queens, NY
    I don't know if you can go to the top of the freedom tower but it's currently the tallest building in America.

The best sandwich is the bomb from Sal's in Astoria. Just Google that. It's a quick train ride into queens.

Gaolee and Happynoj like this.
  3. MJ5150

MJ5150 Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    A couple of those questions can spiral into an argument that'll get this thread locked.

-Mike

S-Bigbottom and Happynoj like this.
  4. Gaolee

Gaolee Official leathers tester and crash dummy

Oh, that Washington. Can't help you. Sorry. Come west. It's far better out here. I lived in NYC, so I speak nothing but truth. Really. Just ask me.

47th Street, S-Bigbottom and ak56 like this.
  5. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    NYC: I don't know what the best cheesecake in the city is, but Junior's (a chain that has a location in Times Square) is a strong contender in my book. Don't get the "regular" food there, though.
    Go to the TKTS booth to get reasonably priced tickets to a lot of plays (Hamilton won't be discounted, you can be sure of that). The big one's in Times Square, but there's another one by the South St. Seaport that is much quieter if you happen to be in the area.
    Take the Staten Island Ferry (it's free) to get a good view of the Statue of Liberty and lower Manhattan; it's 30 minutes each way.
    If it's not too cold, take a walk on the High Line. I haven't had a chance yet, but I've heard good things. The High Line | Friends of the High Line

DC: My one not-obvious tip is this place: International Spy Museum It's been years since I visited, but I found it fascinating.

Have a great trip!

6. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    In DC any of the Smithsonian museums are great. Art, Natural History, American History, Holocaust, Sculpture, etc. Most of them are along the Mall so you can take in the monuments there too. You'll already be there for Air and Space. That could easily fill up your two days. You might also try for a White House tour and a Capitol tour. Again, all located around or near the Mall.

Happynoj and sissy kathy like this.
  7. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    Definitely do that next time Greg. Put it high on your list. Even if it's cold, go.
    There are some cool joints to stop and eat/drink at along the way, great scenery, and you get a good history on one of the more gritty parts of NYC back in the day.
    Plus, it takes you right to Chelsea Market.
    Watch this documentary before you go: Class Divide l HBO Documentary Films l HBO

-Mike

8. GregC

GregC Johnny and Joe Gold Supporting Member

Jan 19, 2007
    Chicago
    We were planning to when we visited in September, but it was 90+ that day and we weren't up for a second straight day of extreme heat.

Happynoj likes this.
  9. T_Bone_TL

T_Bone_TL

Jan 10, 2013
    NW Mass/SW VT
    Empire State you can (or could ~8 years ago) still go to the observation deck, though last time I was there there were a number of dudes with M16's and helmets hanging around the sidewalk. Seemed like a useless display of the wrong kind of force to me, but whatever, I guess they were prepared for something...

The best pizza would require at least a car, and probably a time machine to get to the 9's in Ithaca for the deep dish. Something by the same name purports to still make the deep dish, but it's a solid 4-hour drive from NYC so I'd expect you to pass on that.

Merchant might be the bass shop you want - or not, as they are more UB/EUB than EBG oriented. Welcome to Merchant Bass

Last I recall most of the museums in NYC are rather expensive admissions. The Guggenheim will give you art and architecture in one swell foop, but it may not be your kind of architecture - it's FLW. If you have the time and if she's not closed, the Statue of Liberty is worth a boat trip. Don't know with all the hysteria of the past 15 years... Might as well go scope out the UN while you are in town, too.

All the Smithsonian museums are free and mostly on the mall - there's also an extension/expansion of the Air and Space a little ways out of town. You could spend months doing them, so that will be the merest skim-through in 2 days. DC traffic sucks, DC traffic with the merest hint of snow is a nightmare (they don't know how to drive in it, so 1/8" causes mayhem.) My stock advice (spent time there decades ago) has been to park at one of the outlying stations and take the metro in, but I've seen a lot of metro troubles in the editorial cartoons recently, so that may not be the deal it once was. Then again, if you are flying or training in and staying in-town, something like that might work. Look for Kilroy at the WWII memorial - as to be expected, he's not front and center, but he was there, and is.
    Kilroy_Was_Here_-_Washington_DC_WWII_Memorial_-_Jason_Coyne.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
    47th Street and Happynoj like this.
  10. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Mar 29, 2006
    Chicago
    Another vote for the high-line. Bonus points if you're listening to Tom Waits' "Pony" while walking it.

If you don't mind a beverage here and there, I'd recommend checking out "PDT". There are lots of amazing cocktail bars in the city, but Jim Meehan is the man. McSorley's will give you the other extreme of essential New York bar experiences, and they are a short walk from one another...and hey, if you're down there, might as well go to Momofuku...

Have an awesome trip!

47th Street likes this.
  11. Joe Nerve

Joe Nerve Supporting Member

Oct 7, 2000
    New York City
    Endorsing artist: Musicman basses
    2 Brothers pizza on 38th and 8th. $1 slices that kick major butt.

47th Street and MJ5150 like this.
  12. ahc

ahc

Jul 31, 2009
    No. Virginia
    The National Building Museum in DC might be something you'd be interested in. Don't know how much Art Deco or Art Nouveau stuff they exhibit, but I have heard good things about the museum. Here's the Google for your research:

national building museum - Google Search

13. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    Art Deco scream The Chrysler Building and the GE/RKO in Manhattan.
    [​IMG]

14. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    [​IMG]

15. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    flat,550x550,075,f.

16. MJ5150

Apr 12, 2001
    Olympia, WA
    I just got home from NYC.
    On this trip, I was determined to try 2 Brothers due to Joe mentioning it at least twice in TBOT.

I went to the one on 46th, between 5th and 6th.
    Oh my, it is great pizza. The dough had a perfect yeasty flavor and tasted fresh. The sauce was just the right mix of tomato and herbs.
    The cheese? Perfect. Not super greasy, not overly stretchy, not chewy.
    $1.00 for a slice of genuine NYC cheese pizza just a block or two away from Times Square.
    We try to avoid Times Square at all costs, but I'll sneak in from the back side for some 2 Brothers.
    Plus, right next door is Nino's on 46th, and they have awesome Italian food at reasonable NYC prices ($19 for spaghetti with two huge meatballs topped with fresh basil and ricotta) along with a superb wine selection.
    Thank you, thank you, thank you Joe for the recommendation.

One thing....it was called Pizza Market. As I walked in, I asked the guys behind the counter if this was 2 Brothers. They said...yep, whaddya want?

-Mike

GregC and Joe Nerve like this.