1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

NYC Area lessons for longtime player looking to find my faults, analyze my shows etc

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by quadrogong, Mar 29, 2013.

1. quadrogong

quadrogong

Jul 6, 2006
    NYC
    I'm a NYC player, 46 yrs old and I have played shows and recorded for different local artists for many years, I'd like someone to watch me play along to a track, or watch vids of my gigs, point out where I need work, and show me ways to improve my weak areas.. Be it timing, amount of sustain for my notes, play simpler lines etc

I'd like to keep certain aspects of my style, but polish them,
    I learned certain ways to make artists like my style live, play deep, rich tone, lots of sustain to the notes, big, simple lines..
    but I feel like I'm self taught and I'm faking it, sometimes I lay the sustain on too thick, it makes a band sound full and big,
    and I do play shorter, staccato notes at times, but I don't really mix it up enough, I'm locked into this style after so many years and my playing improves , but very slowly..
    I need to get out of that habit and add more precision and dynamics to my technique..I'm sure there are other faults,

engineers and producers are usually pleased w my tracks, I rarely struggle over a track, I always practice songs a lot before recording.. But I KNOW deep inside that I can add more to a band
    and I could guide a drummer more, rather than following in their footprints..and falling into that " sustaining every note" trap, it's like a cheap showbiz trick that gets me by, I know I need work polishing these things, and more.
    I have a good ear and get the job done, but I need guidance.

I need a player who is tight technically and I'm willing to do Skype lessons, even have him watch a bunch of songs I played live w bands and objectively see what he thinks needs work..take inventory of the faults he sees in my live shows or recording sessions..

please PM me w any suggestions,
    thank u